Hi all,

Our transcripts were transcribed into MS Word and were automatically given line numbers. However, when importing the file (after saving it as .rtf) into NVivo, the line numbers are gone. Is there any way to have the line numbers show up right on the NVivo document so it is easier for me to code?

thanks in advance!

No - NVivo will provide paragraph numbers but not line numbers. Can't imagine how line numbers would make it easier to code, unless you are trying to code on paper first - which is definely not the easiest way to code, especially when you should be having to deal with overlapping and multiple codes for each passage coded (if you're doing it 'right'). So make your life easier - don't worry about line numbers and code on screen - that's how the program is best designed to work!

Pat

No - NVivo will provide paragraph numbers but not line numbers. Can't imagine how line numbers would make it easier to code, unless you are trying to code on paper first  - which is definely not the easiest way to code, especially when you should be having to deal with overlapping and multiple codes for each passage coded (if you're doing it 'right'). So make your life easier - don't worry about line numbers and code on screen - that's how the program is best designed to work!

Pat

Thanks Pat. Unfortunately I am not doing the coding myself, it has already been completed. I have been given a list of codes with corresponding line numbers where it is to be entered in Nvivo... thus making it harder for me when I can't see the line numbers (that were present in the MS word transcript) on screen!

Thanks Pat.  Unfortunately I am not doing the coding myself, it has already been completed.  I have been given a list of codes with corresponding line numbers where it is to be entered in Nvivo... thus making it harder for me when I can't see the line numbers (that were present in the MS word transcript) on screen!

Mmmm. In the future, perhaps you should suggest that those designing a project get training in NVIVO so they know the best way to design the teamwork. As Pat says, coding on screen is the way the software was designed to work. But to solve your immediate problem, you can use the Go To function in the Edit menu of the Document Browser (short cut is CTRL-G). While you won't be able to see the line numbers you can use this function to quickly get to the line number you need to code. It starts line numbering from the very first line of your document. So if line 1 is not the very first line in your transcript, you need to first count how many lines there are to the transcript's line 1 (you can do this in the Document Browser. Then you just add this number to the line number you want to Go To.

Hope this helps.

Silvana

Mmmm. In the future, perhaps you should suggest that those designing a project get training in NVIVO so they know the best way to design the teamwork.  As Pat says, coding on screen is the way the software was designed to work.  But to solve your immediate problem, you can use the Go To function in the Edit menu of the Document Browser (short cut is CTRL-G).  While you won't be able to see the line numbers you can use this function to quickly get to the line number you need to code.  It starts line numbering from the very first line of your document.  So if line 1 is not the very first line in your transcript, you need to first count how many lines there are to the transcript's line 1 (you can do this in the Document Browser.  Then you just add this number to the line number you want to Go To.

Hope this helps.

Silvana

I have the same situation. People are coding on paper and I am entering their coding. Will NVivo 7 have the ability to show line numbering? If not, how about N6? Otherwise, it looks like I'll have to go back to using N4 for coding our project :unsure: .

I agree with those above that this is a problem with the new version of NVIVO. Many of us work in teams where not everyone in the team will be working from NVIVO. I took my print outs of interviews with coding stripes to a meeting today where everyone else was working from transcripts printed from Word. They had line numbers and I didn't so it wasn't very convenient.

Another problem I have found is that with NVIVO2 when you jumped to the source document from the coding reports somewhere on the screen would tell you the line numbers highlighted. This was very useful when extracting quotations and giving the source reference. This feature seems to have disappeared from the new version.