Error Message "Database Component Failure - Database component did not initialize"

I've seen that this has been a problem before but, unfortunately, I can't access the response as it has been sent as an email to the querent.

I haven't used NVIVO 10 for months on my laptop. When I loaded it up it asked me to initialise the product key again which I thought was weird. Anyway, I have another 437 days left of my NVIVO. Yay!

The problem is, I can't open ANY of my NIVO files, even the sample file. It keeps coming up with the same message "Database component did not intialize". I have re-started, and re-started again to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Andie_R,

Thanks for posting this issue.

This error message indicates Microsoft SQL Server, the database component used by NVivo, has encountered a problem. Please refer to the following FAQ for instructions to resolve this issue:

http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_faqs_detail.aspx?view=1362

If you experience any difficulties with this process, please provide me with the requested information at the bottom of the link contained in the FAQ.

Thanks, Harky

Hi Harky.

I've already done this and it didn't work. When I tried to rename the QSRNVIVO10 file as QSRNVIVO10 - old it wouldn't let me. It said that the folder, or a file in the folder, was in use which it clearly wasn't as I had shut everything else down. Do you have a resolution for this or do I need to fill out one of those online forms?

Thanks again :)

Hi Andie_R,

Yes, please contact us via the support form at: http://qsrinternational.com/support_contact-support.aspx so that we can investigate this further.

The FAQ link sent earlier has details of the log files we need to see to help us resolve this issue.

If any files are larger than 8Mb, we can set up a dropbox folder for you.

Thanks, Harky

Archived