Dr Jens Hansen

A Discussion Section on Issues?

<_< I've done my not unusual thing of getting up quite early and leaving the family to slumber. After having a cup of tea whilst checking emails (a standard western behaviour across both genders I believe) I scrolled, as is my want, through the QSR Forum Topics and two realisations have emerged.

First, the number of 'technical' issues requiring quite specific guidance/suggestions seems to have grown as opposed to 'threads of moment' with multiple participants to-ing and fro-ing with gusto. (Yes, there are exceptions, but the mode for responses appears to be two and the mean number of responses is, at a glance, about 2.5). Someone asks a question and an answer comes. Neat, useful and very positive indeed. I have no quarrels with that and long may it continue.

At the same time, the data indicate that, by and large, these technical solutions are quite broadly read and hence the forum also serves a purpose of enabling information acquisition for those seeking it and information diffussion for others seeking to grow their knowledge. Again I have not quarrels with that and long may this also continue.

But in my opinion, heightening understandings and encouraging critical commentary and debate should also to be a prime purpose of a forum such as this and that does not really appear to be happening to the extent that it might. Accordingly, I wonder if there might be merit in having a specific section for 'issues discussions' so that people can give vent to their spleen and/or tease out whatever happens to be their matter of moment to them.

We 'morphed' from the previous forum into this one with enthusiasm and there was, in my view, clear evidence of discussions about issues happening in the old forum and for a little while such dialogues continued when we had morphed. But by and large, the pattern now seems to have become one of a the forum assuming more of a role of being a public help desk and hence my suggestion that there should be an issues soap-box, perhaps with invited moderators, discussion summarisers, topic celebrants, raporteurs, call them what you will. :mellow:

What do others think? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jens

Jens

G'day Jens

Yes, perhaps the current board should be renamed as a basic Q&A board and a new forum created for general discussion? I only started to participate in the forum in its news guise so I can't compare to the "old days"- but I like the idea of being part of an online community of N6/NVivo users.

Nic

good day, jens,

or whatever time of the day you have downunder right now. I completely agree with your perception-suggestion. I am not using the forum very often, indeed, and the fact that you point at is actually one of the reasons.

ana

spain

I have the same response to the new format for the Forum, Jens. It is effective in getting once off questions answered - although even there some people simply write in without checking that even as recently as one or two days previously the same question has been asked and answered.

For me it is an artefact of havng to go online to read follow up to a topic (well I can nominate to be notified of follow up but I don't generally do this), or to reply to a topic. Anyway, it means I need more time to spare than I usually allocate for checking out the Forum. In the past I might have been more readily sidetracked into responding directly to a message that landed in my Inbox. I guess we have gained something (a historical record of messages) and lost something ( the immediacy of receiving a message and giving a reply) with the new Format.

I would support the suggestion of something to support the "issues soapbox".

Cheers,

Leonie

Thank you for the feedback regarding the QSR forums.

We will be making some improvements to the forums very soon in light of the feedback.