arielb

Importing Classification Sheets not working

I have followed all the instructions on importing/exporting classification sheets (found here: http://help-nv10mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/import_%28or_export%29_classification_sheets.htm and here: http://help-nv10mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/dialogs/using_the_import_classification_sheets_wizard.htm) and can't seem to get it to work.

I have tried both a CSV and a TXT file, and both encoding for the TXT file. I have also eliminated all stray characters in my original file so it is only text and numbers. I have also tried lots of titles for hierarchical node names.

What am I missing? My project log opens and alerts me that there is an error but it doesn't tell me why it won't import.

Please help! Thanks!

Hi Ariel,

I can succesfully save my excel spreadsheets as TXT files and import them into my Nvivo for Mac project.

Thus If you can upload one of your spreadsheets here as a reply, I can replicate the process.

Regards,

Hi Ariel,

I can successfully import your Excel file after converting it to ".txt". I think the problem is "character encoding mismatch". To solve this issue please follow below steps:

First of all, the Excel file you have uploaded is not an actual ".xlsx" file, it is a ".xls". Thus, use your right click select get info to see file properties. Then, change file extension to ".xls" once Mac OS asks you confirm it.

Second, open your new ".xls" in Microsoft Excel for Mac. In the ribbon menu click "File" and select "Save As". Once pop-up menu comes up, go through "Format" drop down menu select "UTF - 16 Unicode Text (.txt)" and hit save button. If it asks for confirmation, confirm it.

Third, open your Nvivo for Mac project. Then go through "Data" > "Classification Sheets". Once you have seen the first step window of importing pop-up menu. Browse the ".txt" file you have created above. From "File Encoding" drop down menu select "UTF-16" and do not change "text qualifier".

After you go thorough the remaining steps, you should be able to see your classifications imported.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

I seem to have found a bug. I can import the classification sheet successfully as a SOURCE classification but not as a NODE classification.

Thoughts or assistance? Is there a specific way to report this error to QSR developers?

Hi again,

You do not have a bug, just skipping required selection!

On the second step of import classification menu you should change the "Classification Type" to "Node Classification". Then you should be able to create node classification.

Regards,

Nope. That was not the problem. It works for Source and when I try with the same file for Node I get the following error: "When the user has specified a parent node or source, the node or source isn't a node or source." I have double checked all the spelling and tried the txt file with hierarchical naming and not.

Thoughts?

I am using exactly the same ".xls" file and succesfully created Node classifications. I suggest you to check all steps of importing again.

Regards,

post-15293-0-95288000-1404973506_thumb.png

thanks for all the help -seemed to be something quirky (unclear what) with that project. I was able to successfully import it into a new project so I just recreated my framework again.

Thanks!