jmcphee

Classifications

I would like to ensure that I can view my themes by specific focus groups. I ran 3 groups based on adherence levels (to a weight loss programme). How do i make sure that I am capturing that codes are from a specific focus group? I think it is around classifications but cannot work out how to se this up.

Thanks

Julia

Hi Julia,

You did not mention about the size, and coding system of your project.

However, this can be done in several ways. In order to use classifications please follow below steps:

1-) On Create Tab select Source Classifications

2-) Once you see new classification box, select create a new classification.

3-) Enter name as "Focus Groups" (and a description if you want).

4-) Select the Focus Groups classification click the attribute button on the classifications group of create tab.

5-) Once you see the new attribute box, enter name as "Adherence Level". Assuming you assign numbers to your levels select "Type" as "Text".

6-) Then click the values tab to add values to your "Adherence Level" attribute. Click add and give a name to that value like "Level 1". Replicate this action and add "Level 2" and "Level 3".

By repeating steps 4-6 you may create other sub groups for your subjects such as age, sex, etc.

After having this structure, every time you import a case document which includes the data for your each subject, go to its properties and assign relevant value for each attribute.

Once you have finished your data import and coding process, you can perform a matrix coding query for capturing certain data as a node matrix for a specific group. Then, you can use it for further analysis.

Regards,

Thanks for the advice. All set up now. Very straight forward instructions which is what I needed!

Canarik, I've been trying to figure out classifications as well. I want to see themes by specific print sources. Would this same set-up work for my project? I have four short books of non-fiction text, and I would like to capture the themes of each book (and each book contains chapters by different authors). Would the instructions you've outlined above for Julia work for this?

Thank you!

Hi cjchristi,

Yes, you can use same source classifications for your project. As you might already know, in Nvivo for Windows, there are predefined classifications which would work for you perfect. However, in Nvivo for Mac this feature is not currently supported. Thus, you need to do this manually.

Just create a source classification with the name "Books" and then add attributes like author, chapter, etc.

Once you have finished your classification you may capture relevant themes with utilizing matrix coding query.

Regards,