Kari

Running coding queries to identify coded sources

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to NVivo and am using it to help me organise articles in a systematic review. I decided to code each source on a number of characteristics (rather than creating classifications- potentially wrong decision but I can change that next time). It would be great if I could now run matrix coding queries to identify the sources that have been coded at multiple nodes.

That said, when I coded each source, in many cases the content of each article was automatically coded to the node as well, so for each source coded at a node there are up to 20 references. Therefore, when I run a coding query I get a whole heap of text.

I have run reports to identify sources coded at each individual node. Is there a way I can do something similar to get a list of sources coded at multiple nodes?

I hope this makes sense. I feel like i'm speaking another language!

Many thanks in advance, Kari

Hi Kari,

I've passed on your request to our technical team and I'll keep you posted when I find out more.

Regards, Andrew

Hi Kari,

I'm guessing you are interested in finding which sources are coded to a particular combination of nodes? (As differentiated from finding out which sources are simply coded at any 2 or more nodes?)

If there is one particular coding combination you are looking for, I would use a coding query. The criteria would look for sources that are coded at Node A and Node B and Node C. When the query results are returned, the reference tab will show all of the text. As the text references do not really hold any significance for you, switch to the 'Summary' tab. The Summary tab lists the sources that match the coding combination you are searching for.

If you are interested in combinations in general, then I would use a matrix coding query. One possibility is to select the sources as rows and nodes as columns. The results will show the number of references by default - you can change this to the number of coded sources if you prefer. To find sources coded at any particular combination, you can filter by each of the columns representing the relevant nodes.

I hope this helps

thanks

Kate