In my recordings of visitors to a museum there are periods where my participants don't speak. How would I code the silence and its duration?There are occasions when some of my participants hum or sing-again how do I note the extent of this response? Would I give the silence a Value such as 5 for 15 minutes or longer 4 for 10 minutes etc?

Hi hewhitty,

A possible way would be to use a name such as 'Silence' or other name in the 'Content' title for each Timespan of silence. You could then code 'Silence' to the appropriate node. You could create a node hierarchy to define periods of silence with the child nodes bearing time ranges. A similar approach could be used for instances of humming etc.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Hi hewhitty,

Did you know that you can add a transcript to an audio file in NVivo - allowing you to code and search the transcript text as well as coding the digital audio?

If instances of silence, humming, etc are important in your analysis, it would be best to import the audio files into NVivo so that you can code directly from the media. Once imported, you could simply code the relevant sections directly from the media timeline to a node for 'Silence', for example.

Each reference coded to the 'Silence' node will show the timespan from the audio file. If your analysis would benefit from differentiating the references by duration, you could then code each of the references in this 'Silence' node to nodes created as children of your 'Silence' node - much as you suggested above.

You could perhaps also ask yourself if it's apparent why the interviewee was silent, and what was going on in the interview at that stage. If you are able to determine why, then it would probably help to code on to nodes accordingly. For example - 'Considering response', 'Not willing to respond', 'Reading Museum Signage', 'Distracted' etc

I hope this is helpful!

Thanks

Kate

• Like 1