Sarina

Memo's and lack of Annotations /See Also Links

Can someone please confirm that I am correct in this? Or if there is a work-around, please let me know.

I am working in Nvivo for Mac and just discovered there are no annotations or see also links. I am now trying to figure out how I might proceed.

As each source can only have 1 memo linked to it - in Nvivo for Windows I was advised to create a standalone memo, for instance, "Theme X" and then use the See Also Link to link to the specific sections in each source that I wanted to write about. As I understand it, in Nvivo for Mac, there is no way to link a Memo to a specific section of Text. Memo's can only be linked to entire nodes or entire sources.

Is this correct? If yes....

Does anyone have any good suggestions for working around it?

I am used to being able to create a "compilation" Memo via See Also Links and use the annotations for noting to myself interesting tid-bits I might come back too.

Seems like the power of Nvivo has been stripped right back if this is the case. :(

Hi Sarina,

Yes, you are right about the memo feature of Nvivo.

However, there is a workaround for your issue:

As you might already know you are NOT limited to a certain number of nodes for your project. If you would like to have a similar functionality as you you did with annotations in Nvivo for Windows, I suggest you to utilize nodes.

Let's say you would like to annotate a certain section in a source. Then, in Nvivo for Mac, just select that section, code it with a node, and name it as you desire. Then add a memo to that node like you add an annotation for it.

Repeat this step for all specific sections in that source but just do not forget to give a different node name in each time you code a section.

In order to keep your nodes tidy, I also suggest you to put all memo nodes under a parent node.

Once you have finished coding your sources and adding memos you can do perform all kind of actions as you perform with the annotations in Nvivo for Windows.

I hope this helps.

Regards,