Export/Report nodes and coded text (with hierarchy)

Dear all

I'm under a deadline, so I hope you could help me out quickly with this question. I'm a newby at Nvivo10, I've looked already into the guidelines but it's very confusing with all the posibilities and boxes you have to check.

I've coded all my sources (texts) into nodes and childnodes. The result is a 'nodetree' with main nodes and childnodes etc. Now I want to export the hierarchy of two nodes, with the coded text under it, organised by the hierarchy.

To visualise here's what I would like to have:

"MAIN NODE"

- subnode

- subnode

* subnode

[coded text coded text coded text....]

- subnode

* subnode

- subnode

- subnode

* subnode

- subnode

* subnode

I don't know if it's possible (looking through the guidelines, I think it is, but I can't seem to find out how...), if yes: it would save me a lot of time!

Thank you for any helpful input!

Kind regards,

Ellen.

Hi Ellen,

In NVivo for Windows:

1. Click the ‘Explore’ tab and then from ‘New Report’, select ‘New Report via Wizard’

2. At Step 1, click the ‘From a view’ drop-down list and select ‘Node’ and then click ‘Next’

3. At Step 2, click ‘+Node’ and select ‘Hierarchical Name’ and click the right arrow >

4. Scroll down and click ‘+Coded Source. Coding Reference’ and select ‘Coded Text’ and click the right arrow >

5. Click ‘Next’

6. Click ‘Next’ again

7. At Step 4 select ‘Node.Hierarchical Name’ and click the right arrow >

8 Click ‘Next’ repeatedly until you get to Step 8

9. Type a name for your project and then click ‘Finish’

Regards,

Andrew

• 11 months later...

Hello,

Please could you help me. I followed the instructions above and almost got what I wanted (after many attempts at trying different versions) - my two nearest attempts have produced an A-Z report of nodes or a sort of hierarchy but not the one that I have customised. How does it decide which order it goes in?

I would like a report that looks similar to the one above:

Customised node 1

Subnode a

Coded text

Coded text

Subnode b

Coded text

Coded text

Customised node 2

Subnode a

Coded text

Subnode b

Coded text

Coded text

If you can help I would be so grateful!

Thank you

Ann.

Hi Ann,

When you sort nodes in a report like this you will be unable to use any custom sorting based off of the node names.

A workaround for this may be to use node nicknames. You can assign a nickname to a node by right-clicking the node and selecting Properties. Apply a naming scheme to your nodes so that they are numbered 1, 2, 3 …

In your report, follow the same steps as mentioned above, but in step 3, also add Nickname to the list on the right.

In step 5 of 8, change the first dropdown box to Node.Nickname. Then follow the above steps as normal.

Now, this should produce a report that displays nodes in your custom sort order. Please note that nodes with no number will appear first.

You may notice that your report now has this extra column. You can remove this by opening the report in the Report Designer, and dragging the column off of the page. Don’t delete the column, as this will remove the sorting: http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/using_the_report_designer.htm

Cheers,

Tane

• Like 1