Sign in to follow this  
zoomfactor

Searching for text string in attribute values

Hello,

I am experimenting with ways to categorize notes from interviews with several biologists, as well as to categorize academic papers. In addition to nodes, I would like to classify these sources (interview notes and journal articles) with various attributes. One of the attributes is the type(s) of microbes with which the scientists are working. Unfortunately, this is often several strains, which I list as a unique "value" for each source, separated by semicolons. Not unlike how Endnote treats the "author" field, which may have several authors.

Is there a way I can search for a text string within the "microbe" attribute values, to search for sources dealing with a particular microbe? Sort of like how Endnote can search in the "author" field for all the documents on which he/she is a coauthor?

Thanks,

Kim

Hi Kim,

In NVivo, you cannot search for Sources that have attribute values containing a string of text as you describe.

Your problem is not unique - there are many users who want to record multiple values for a similar attribute. The most frequently used solution is to create multiple attributes (in your case, one for each type of microbe) and set them up as 'Boolean' type attributes. Then for each source you would record a Yes or No against each attribute.

Thanks

Kate

• Like 1