jpsalter

Line numbers / source formatting

Hi there,

I have a load of interviews which I've transcribed using MS Word, and which I'm now coding in nVivo. However, I've noticed that the line-numbers (down the left hand side, every five lines) which I added in Word haven't loaded. This is a bit of a pain, since I was hoping to use them when making comments in each interview's corresponding memo file.

Is there a way to bring them in during the original import?

Cheers

JP

I found one hack: save the underlying file as a PDF and bring it in that way. Seems to protect the source formatting a lot better.

But this creates a second concern: will there be a problem in bringing in (and storing!) 40-50 PDFs?

Oh, and last question: is there a way to add little notes in the margins of text files (word docs or PDFs) that aren't strictly 'nodes'? I'm thinking of something similar to those annotations you can add in MS Word...

Cheers,

JP

• Like 1

Hello JP,

Thank you for your posts.

Auto-formatted Word document line numbering is not retained when a Word document is imported into NVivo. The only way to achieve this is to ensure that the line numbers are embedded in each line of text in the Word document. You may follow the steps below to see the line numbers after import in NVivo:

1. Save the transcripts as 'text only with line breaks' format rather than .doc or .docx (in Word 2003 and 2007, go to Save As... plain text, then when you get the next dialog box, check 'Insert Line Breaks' before saving).

2. Re-open this text file in Word and simply make the transcript into a numbered list (i.e., through 'Bullets and numbering' rather than applying line numbers through Page Setup). Since this document has breaks at the end of every line, each line should now be numbered.

3. Save the file again as plain text document. This will convert the numbered list into actual literal numbers in the text.

4. You can then open this file into Word and format it as you wish. When you import and code this file into NVivo, the original line numbers will appear in your nodes, as the line numbers are literal numbers in the text.

There is no limit on the number of PDFs that can be imported into NVivo provided your NVivo 10 project does not exceed 10 GB which is the maximum size for a project.

You can use Annotations in NVivo 10 to add notes or comments to your documents. Please refer to the below help link for more information:

http://bit.ly/WQ7Z4T

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta