amyshwang

Very slow performance of NVivo for Mac

Hi there,

I am writing to report very slow performance of NVivo for Mac. I imagined this was normal when I was previously using the beta version but now that I have the full, up-to-date version, I wonder if there may be an underlying issue. Below is a screencast to give you a sense of the slow speed. Can you please assist?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdazoa5hdiypo1g/NVivo%20for%20Mac%20slow%20performance%20%28screencast%29.mov?dl=0

Thank you.

Amy

Hi Amy,

Actually, Nvivo for Mac works quite fast at least I can say faster than Windows version. This is why I wonder about your hardware specifics.

However, you did not mention about your MAC's specifics. To do that right click to Apple symbol on the upper left side of your screen, select about this Mac and click on More info. Then please attach a screenshot of that info window to your reply.

Regards,

Hi again,

It seems your system has more than recommended requirements for running Nvivo. However, I can see you have a lot of apps running in the background. They might be using quite a lot of your ram and processor. I suggest you to stop those programs (You can see them from System Preferences> Users&Groups> Login Items and uncheck those are not essential for you) and restart your Mac and run Nvivo again.

Regards,

Hello Amy,

I am unable to view your screencast as the Dropbox link that you have posted says that ‘File is Uploading’. Could you please check that the screencast file has uploaded successfully to Dropbox and let us know once the upload has completed.

Once I am able to view the screencast, I will be able to provide further advice.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

Oh dear! Now I have a bigger problem. I followed the automatic prompt to upgrade my NVivo 10 software and I can no longer open the program without it crashing. I tried 3 times, then rebooted and tried again - no luck. See screencast here: http://youtu.be/vHODqzlGnrw ... and please assist ASAP! Thank you.

Hi Amy,

The issue that you are experiencing with Finder on your Mac appears to be unrelated to NVivo for Mac.

Please submit a support request form mentioning this forum post at the below link for further assistance:

http://bit.ly/1mURVJR

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

Hello Amy,

Please follow the steps below to open your project in NVivo for Mac and resolve this issue:

1. Open NVivo for Mac

2. Hold down Command key (for about 4 seconds) on NVivo for Mac home screen, select the project you want to open and click on Open

If you experience any further issues with your NVivo for Mac project, please submit a support request form using the link in the above post, for further assistance.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta