mariajckrom

NVivo for Mac update crashes

Hi,

I have a student licence for NVivo for Mac. Today when I opened the program, I got a message that an update to version 10.1 was available. I downloaded the .dmg file and it installed fine on my computer, replacing the older version (10.0.4). The program also opened apparently without any problem, but then when I tried to open my Ph.D Project that I had created in the older version, the program crashed. I have tried reinstalling the program 3 times, and each time the same problem happens. I have restarted my computer, but nothing, the problem persists.

Please HELP. I can't work because I cannot access my data.

Maria

Hi Maria,

I suggest you to try to find out if this problem related with your new version or not. Todo that please re-open Nvivo and create a new project file than import a document and make some random codings. Save the project file, close Nvivo and try to re-open the same project file that you have created. if it opens then your Nvivo works fine and you have issues with your original project file.

Without having the original project file, the only suggestion that I can make is to un-install the newer (10.1) version and re-install the older (10.0.4) version of the Nvivo and try to open your original project file.

Hope this helps, if not you should contact with customer support and send your project file to them.

Best,

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I did as you suggested and created a test-project, imported and coded some data, saved and closed the project and reopened it. No problems with this project. However, the problem persists with my Ph.D project. I would like to reinstall the older version to see if this will open it, but I don't have the .dmg file anymore and I can't seem to find a link anywhere on the QSR website do download the 10.0.4. version.

Any ideas where I could find this link?

Thanks in advance!

Maria

Hi again Maria,

Please find the file (10.0.4) link here.

Hope this will help your issue.

Best

Hi,

We strongly recommend not rolling back to version 10.0.4 as 10.1 includes a lot of features and bug fixes that were not present in 10.0.4. 10.1 is also a lot more stable and you may encounter issues with your project file as an attempt to open it in a newer version has already been made.

Can you please try the following.

1. While on the NVivo for Mac home screen, hold down the Command key and wait 2 seconds.

2. While still holding the Command key, select your project and click open.

3. When the ‘Opening NVivo Project’ screen appears you can let go of the Command key.

If you problem still persists please submit a support request form:
http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_contact-support.aspx

Cheers,

Tane

Hi,

Thanks so much for your assistance! It seems the problem is solved. I did as you (Tane) suggested, and my project opened and did not crash. Just one more question: do I need to do this from now on every time I want to open this project? Or if I save it, it will open in the normal way?

Once again, many thanks for your advice (Can Arik and Tane),

Maria

Hi Maria,

This should be a permanent fix and you wont need to do it again. If you do run into the same problem again and the steps don't resolve your issue or if it is happening a lot please don't hesitate to contact us.

Cheers,

Tane.