jsg298

Comparing coding for sets

Hi,

I am having trouble working out the logic of a visualization i wish to create.

I have 30 interviews from two nations; i want to compare the coding across the two nations...."were the interviews from Country A coded at the same nodes as Country B?"

I have tried placing the interviews in 2 different sets, running group query on each, but that shows all coding for each source in each set.

So then I created a 'master country case node' for each, asked for the coding of that in group query. Ok. Could export to excel. But I cannot represent that visually in a model, because if I add a Node to a model, i cannot show that nodes associated coding. And if I add a set to the model, ditto.

I am surely missing something here. Any advice? thanks.

Hello JSG,

In order to obtain a better understanding of your query, could you please provide the following information:

1. What have you added in the two sets - does one set have all the sources for country A and the other, all the nodes for country B

2. What options did you select for your Group query and what was the range of the query

3. Have you coded the entire sources to their respective ‘master country case nodes’

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

Hi JSG

I think I can offer a work-around for you. First you need to do a bit of copying and pasting to create a consolidated source document for each country:

1. Create a new document called 'Interviews from Country A'

2. Open each interview from Country A and copy all of the content (You can use the CTRL+A shortcut to select all content then CTRL+C to copy)

3. Paste the content into the new document 'Interviews from Country A'

Note: When you copy and paste the content from one document to another, NVivo also copies the coding.

4. Repeat for Country B

Now you can use these two consolidated documents in a model, showing the Nodes that code them.

One thing to watch out for - if you have queries in your project that are searching all sources, these two new documents and all of their duplicated coding will be included. One way to address this is to edit your queries to specifically select only the interview documents themselves, excluding the consolidated documents.

I hope this helps

thanks

Kate

thanks Kate, having just got back to this project, your work around makes sense and I understand the warning! have seen it before. regards.

Rahul,

thanks for your reply...

Both sets contain the case nodes for each country respectively.

Each case node has its entire related interview source coded at that case node.

For the group query, Items coding - scope, the 2 sets selected; then range - the thematic nodes.

This aspect of visualisation really frustrates me, it seems one piece of logic I can never follow in NVIVO, if we have cases for detail and context, and then later comparison, why is there not facility to compare the coding of two nodes, or to visualise the thematic coding of a case node? There must be something I am not understanding? I hope so.!

Regards.

Hello JSG,

Thank you for providing this information.

Models in NVivo currently do not let you compare the coding of your nodes with other nodes. I will pass on your suggestion to our product team for consideration in future versions of NVivo.

For now, the workaround that Kate has provided above appears to be the best way to visualize your coding.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta