O Begitu

Coding dragging problem

O Begitu    1

I am coding using the drag and drop method in which document text is highlighted and dragged to the node. Highlighting works fine, but I can't establish a pattern of why the dragging intermittently fails about half the time. When it doesn't work, the highlighted text becomes unhighlighted and starts highlighting again where I click the cursor. The best I can tell, unless I click exactly on the black text that is highlighted (not on any whitespace, even it is the space in the "O" of the text), the drag will fail. I find that I can most successfully drag the highlighted text when I click on an "e" because the white space is small. This is highly frustrating because even then it doesn't always grab the text.

Does anyone else have this issue? Is this a bug? If not, does anyone have a recommendation to make dragging attempts more successful?

NVIVO 10.1.0 (1179) on OS 10.9.5

Thanks

QSRSupport    76

Hello O Begitu,

Thank you for your post.

There is a slight technique with dragging and dropping - after highlighting the selection you wish to code, click and hold for about half a second before moving your mouse to drop into a node. If you try to move your mouse too soon after the initial click, NVivo for Mac will interpret this as the start of a new selection.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

JulianYates    3

This is a strange and very clunky quirk to NVivo. For most software, once a block of text is selected, to deselect that text and then reselect some text, one must first click and let go so as to release the selection. When the text is selected and one clicks the selection and moves the cursor, the usual action is to drag the selected text. Why does NVivo not operate according to this standard logic? It's extremely frustrating having NVivo "drop" selections, and having to pause the drag and drop motion (it is definitely longer than half a second, by the way).

I'm surprised to see that this is still the case for the latest NVivo for Mac.

Please change this to match most other software to make drag and drop more efficient and intuitive, and much less painful.

QSRSupport    76

Hi Julian,

I understand your frustration. This technical issue is related to Webkit, which is the OS X system framework version of the engine used by Safari, Dashboard, Mail, and many other OS X applications. The issue has been raised with our technical team. However, at this stage, I am unable to confirm when this issue will be resolved.

Regards,

Bhupesh

hibou    0

We're 3 years after the original post and the problem remains the same, to code you need to wait a second after highlighting, I have dozens of transcripts to code, this is going to take forever. I am used to the WIndows version of Nvivo, quite disappointed here.