Hello, everyone.

I am using Nvivo 10 for Windows to code in-depth interview transcripts. I am using a grounded theory approach and am doing something equivalent to line-by-line coding. I currently have over 800 nodes in Nvivo as I'm still in the open-coding phase.

I would like to see the codes that I have used in context with the content of the transcripts. Right now, I can enable Coding Stripes, but it is unhelpful with my current amount of nodes - not to mention that its positioning is awkward.

If I hover my mouse over the Coding Density line (the line that darkens as coding density increases), the nodes that I have used will appear briefly in a pop-up over the mouse cursor. But I would like this information to appear permanently in a column next to the source content. Is that possible? If not, have others found a better way to see the entirety of the source material with the nodes side-by-side? I am still coding, so I do not want to look at nodes without also seeing the context of the entire transcript.

Here is an example of what I'm looking to do. In this example, the nodes are right next to the transcript, and the lines indicate the portion of the transcript to which the codes belong. Unfortunately, this example is from an Nvivo competitor, ATLAS:

05f04.jpg

Thank you for your time and for your help!

Lee Kinsey

Hi Lee,

With 800 nodes, I'm not sure that you would happily be able to see all nodes regardless if you are working in Nvivo or Atlas.ti.

Have you tried adjusting the Coding Stripes & Highlight options? (For example, you can choose to see Coding Stripes->Most Coding or -> Least Coding. You can also choose selected nodes only. You can also choose to see highlight the text for coding for specific nodes)

You can print this if you want to have a look / work on it outside of Nvivo.

Once you get a view that you are satisfied with right-click and choose print. The Print Options should offer you "Coding Stripes" - print on same page OR print on adjacent page. If you print to PDF, you get a document that has your text and coding stripes on one page.

I know this is not the exact answer you are seeking, but perhaps its a work-around for the moment.

Hi, Sarina.

Thanks for your reply. My transcripts are long. I'm doing in-depth interviews up to 3 hours long in some cases. The number of nodes isn't just the only issue. The issue is that I can't see the nodes alongside the transcript. Coding stripes are not useful for what I need to do. Printing them is also not helpful. In a grounded theory approach, I'm constantly comparing nodes to source material to other nodes to categories, etc. I need to be able to see the nodes alongside the transcript within the software. This way I can understand the nodes within context.

I hope this makes sense. It seems strange to me that this function isn't built into the software. There are numerous books, articles, textbooks, etc. that show examples of transcripts in one column and codes/nodes in an adjacent column. It's classic coding practice. If Nvivo is unable to accommodate this function, I may have to seek an alternative.

Thank you!

Lee

Hi Lee,

Aren't the coding stripes "the nodes" - so when you see the coding stripes you are seeing the nodes next to the transcript?

Mine is attached. I've undocked my window to get more space and this is showing coding stripes for all nodes. It might depend a bit on preferred learning method - i.e. the coloured coding stripes are probably really easy for some people to see at a glace what they've coded- whereas the Atlas.ti tree branch version might suit others.

Good Luck!

post-22254-0-03178500-1414194499_thumb.jpg

Hi, Sarina.

That may work for some whose codes are preset. In a grounded theory method, I need to stay close to the source material. It really helps to see which nodes are directly tied to which pieces of the transcript. The coding stripes don't have much use until codes are fleshed out and categories have been established.

Thanks for your help!

Lee

Hi Lee,

I see what you are trying to do here. You are right in that at this stage of your project coding stripes would be fairly unwieldy and unhelpful. At this stage, NVivo doesn't support the layout you are looking for. However, it has been requested by other users and it is something that we are considering for future releases of NVivo. I will add your feedback to the existing requests.

If there is anything else we can help you with, please let me know.

Cheers

Simon