lhancock28

using projects on external hard drives

I'm running Nvivo 10 and would like to store & run my project files on an external USB 3.0 drive. I know that the software doesn't want project files on network drives, dropbox, memory sticks or other sync applications, but I was hoping that I could use a large-capacity external drive to store all of my data-including my Nvivo project files-to move between home and office.

If this won't work is there some reason and/or some fix coming up.

thanks...

Yes - this is similar to my topic 'Starting out' a few days back. No replies yet I'm afraid. With a fast external HD connection (in my case, Firewire 800), I don't see why you can't use an external HD. However, I'd like some guidance on this!

Anyone out there done this?

Regards....Peter

Hi,

You can work from a memory stick, but it is not something we recommend doing. NVivo files differ from Word or other files in that while you have them open, they are using a underlying database to store all the information for your project. Your project requires a constant connection to this database to work correctly. If anything disrupts the connection then it can lead to corruption of your project.
Therefore, it is better to use your computers local hard drive while working on your project, rather then a mem stick. However, once you have finished working on your project on your computer, you can always copy it to a mem stick for back up or to use on another computer.
If you would like more information, please see the below links:
Let me know if I can help further.
Cheers,
Simon

Hi, perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm wondering about using an external hard disk (usb 3.0, esata or firewire) not a memory stick. If there is no functional difference between an external hd & a mem stick I'd appreciate knowing, but otherwise wonder if you have done testing with hard drives as opposed to mem sticks.

thanks...

Hi,

just wanting to check this. I am currently working on NVivo for Windows inside Parallels on MacOs (Yosemite). The project file is stored on iCloud (for safety and back up). I have noticed, despite lots of saves that some of my work disappears. I have just gone back to a copy that I made of my project without too much trouble. The reason I want to sit on the Cloud is simple. I have a duplicate set up at home and at work (in fact all my data normally sit on a Synology server at home (except for this project at the moment), but of course would really only like one (backed up in a RAID, as well as off-site on a professional cloud service) drive where all my data reside. The trauma of losing data (having learnt it the hard way a long time ago) is such that I am never really happy to leave a project at any time on a single HD/SDD or whatever. Given that NVivo stores everything in a single file should there be any issues with NAS as a storage?

Look forward to resolving why I am losing 'bits' out of my work - compensated by making a copy of the project before I leave the work.

Kind regards,

Robert