carolinemansfield

Query about queries

Hello,

I am using NVivo for a literature review and have imported 47 PDF sources and coded them according to emerging themes. I would like to generate a matrix that shows me all the sources and the nodes they are coded at. I can do this manually by going to each node and noting the sources on an excel spreadsheet, but I am thinking there must be a way I can generate this in NVivo, given all the data is there. Any help appreciated!

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

You can run a matrix coding query to easily get what you want. Once you open matrix coding query hit (+) sign at the bottom of Rows box and select all sources and confirm. Then hit (+) sign at the bottom of Column box and select all nodes and confirm. Finally, hit "Run Query" button.

Regards,

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Do you know if I can generate the data in a table? I would like to have all the sources as rows and all the nodes as columns and then the cells showing how many times each source was coded at a node. I do recall doing something like that in NVivo for Windows and then I exported the matrix to Excel.

Regards,

Caroline

Hi Caroline,

You can right click on Matrix Coding Query results and click on Export. You can export the result as ‘tab separated text’ and open it in Excel.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhupesh

Thanks Bupesh,

I think there is something odd here because the instructions for the matrix coding query (at http://help-nv10mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_matrix_coding_query.htm) don't match what I can see on my screen. On the help page it says to click 'matrix coding' but the only option is 'coding' - are they the same? I don't have the option to click rows or columns and when I run the query I only have the 'summary' or 'reference' options .. Is there an update I need or have I done something wrong?

thanks,

Caroline