Robert55

combining different related responses to code in the right context

Hi,

I have (say) 100 respondents (each a node) in a survey. They have been allowed to define another aspect in a list of aspects (codable text) and subsequently they have been allowed to advance up to 3 reasons (each a separate node as codable text). Coding of the additional aspect will lead to (say) 5 new aspects (5 new nodes). Now I need to for each of these nodes find the relevant reason(s) and code that text. Ultimately I want to see with what reasons the respondents have advanced for the 5 new aspects. How do I set this up? I have created a matrix coding in which each row is a respondent and 4 columns have 'other', 'reason1',' reason2',' reason3'. In that sense I can group them. If I were just to code the aspects and end up with 5 new nodes how do I then code the relevant reasons? Just coding the reasons without knowing what the aspect was does not help me as the reason is of course contextual to the aspect. The link between a coded new aspect (node) and the reasons for it are the respondents (nodes). The table below is meant to explain what I am trying to do. Assume for a moment that the red text is already coded and has resulted in new nodes (GSR and Profit)

Persons Aspect reason 1 reason 2 reason 3 respondent 1 global social responsibility make a contribution to solving global problems it is our moral duty makes me feel good respondent 2 profit making good for my job security causes acceptable environmental problems I get a promotion

clearly I would not want to mix up answers of respondent 1 with those of respondent 2. In the end when I want to code the answers of many respondents who have advanced reasons (1 2 and 3) for GSR I want to show all of the references for each respondent whose aspect was coded as GSR (without necessarily wanting to see each of the respondents). This will allow me to efficiently code all of the reasons for this aspect. I suspect I need to create new nodes using Boolean logic.

Your help and consideration is much appreciated from this beginner

Robert

Apologies for the lack of a table in the sample (my excel table copied across without problems 3 rows by 5 columns) it can easily be reconstructed:

persons - Aspect - reason 1 - reason 2 - reason 3 (headers)

respondent 1 - global social responsibility - making a contribution to solving global problems - it is our moral duty - makes me feel good (all answers of first respondent)

respondent 2 - profit making - good for my job security - causes acceptable environmental problems - I get a promotion (all answers of second respondent)

sorry about the confusion

Robert

Hi Robert,

I've just noticed you have sent us a support form. Rahul is looking at your case now, so hopefully we can resolve this for you shortly.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Rahul is looking into something different. Let me word the above slightly differently. If you can point me in the right direction I'll no doubt get there.

I have coded some open-ended answers in a response to a survey to create 3 different codes. The answers were from a single question in a survey, say Q1 (which was also coded as a node). So now there is some content at Q1 that carries a code. What I want to see is the content of another answer (to Q2 - also a node) from all respondents for each of the codes created at Q1. In other words if I had created a node called red, blue, and green in the sources found at Q1, I would like to see all of the text that is located at Q2 that is associated with the node red coded at Q1. Rephrasing it again: if at Q2 there is text which holds what was said about the answer to Q1, I want to group all of the text at Q2 for each of the colours of Q1, so that I can code what is said at Q2, knowing which of the codes applied in Q1

Hope you can help

Kind regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

It sounds like you could use a coding query to do this. Run a query that looks for items coded at Q2 that are also coded at Red, or Red and Blue, and so on. More detailed instructions can be found at http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_coding_query.htm

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if this isn't what you are looking for.

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Robert,

My suggested approach combines Search Folders and a Coding Query. This approach assumes that you have already created a case for each respondent (coding the entire row of their response to each case). It also assumes that you have created a separate user folder for your cases.

First Step: Create a Search Folder for Red, Blue and Green

You can create 3 Search Folders to find the cases coded at each of the 3 different codes created for Q1 responses. These search folders would have criteria like:

Look for : Nodes

That code: Red

In folders or Sets: (select your cases folder)

Second step: Create a node for Q2

If you haven't already done this, code the Q2 column of your survey to a node (for example 'Q2')

Third step: Create a coding query to find Q2 responses for each of Red, Blue and Green

You can use the 'Simple' tab in the coding query options, with criteria like:

Search for content coded at Node: Q2

In: Selected Items ( <- click select and then choose the 'Red' search folder you created in the first step)

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Kate