jonathan_schultz

Can't import sources

I have just begun using NVivo for Mac for the first time. After loading a few sources into a fresh project, I quickly found that some of my sources won't load. The error message states:

Import Error: Error importing “<filename>”. Reason: The file cannot be converted to a supported format in NVivo.

Just for fun I tried importing the same file into NVivo for Windows and it worked perfectly.

I'm not at liberty to attach the source file in question, but it is a transcript of an interview and does not contain anything that is obviously suspicious.

Can anyone suggest a next step?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Can you tell me what format the files you are trying to import are in? Some source types that are accepted in Windows are not necessarily supported in Mac.

Also, are there are unusual characters in the filename, eg '#' ? These can sometimes cause issues.

Please let me know how you go.

Simon

Well how about that? I went to test whether check whether there were unusual characters in the filename. NVivo refused to open the project and told me I needed to reboot the computer. I did that and now it imports the files without complaining.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Hi Jonathan,

NVivo for Mac error logs are named like ‘log-XXXXXX.txt’ and are usually present in the NVivo folder located in your Library folder. Refer to the instructions below to find NVivo error logs on your Mac.
1. Open Finder
2. Hold down the Option key
3. Choose Go > Library.
4. Go to Logs folder > NVivo folder and look for files named log-XXXXX.txt
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Simon