hkivnick

Work with PDF's As Externals? Run Framework Matrix using External PDF files?

hkivnick    1

I'm using NVIVO 10.

I just watched the webinar on using Endnote with NVIVO.

Importing PDF's of references from Endnote into a particular project file has two HUGE space-related problems:

1) It inflates the size of the project file, thereby slowing down the operating speed of NVIVO.

2) Since I use many references in several projects, I wind up having to store the same PDF in several different NVIVO project files, thereby gobbling up my hard drive.

Is it possible (or could you make it possible in a future version) for NVIVO to somehow search and operate on pdf's that exist in an external file on the same hard drive on which the NVIVO project resides? I, personally, have a Downloaded References folder on my hard drive, to which Endnote links for the references I enter. Could NVIVO be set up to link to and then work with the pdf's in this same hard drive folder -- which will remain external to every one of my NVIVO projects?

Thanks!

Kath McNiff    21

Hi hkivnick

One work-around would be to create an External for each of your PDFs and then cut and paste the important excepts into the external. You can then code, annotate and query the content. This may not work if you have very detailed coding in your PDF sources.

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback - I'll bring your suggestion to the dev team.

Cheers,

Kath