ees

Problems with Person Classification of historical persons before the 20th and 21th Century

ees    0

I have encountured a problem when i have classified politicians, composers, thinkers from before the 20th century.

I have entered them as Nodes and used the person-classification and used the attribute Birth date.

They are not searchable, when I try to retrieve them by advanced search, choosing Nodes under Look for and choosing Classified items where.

It functions without any problems when i choose person and attribute birth date for person in the 20th and 21th century but not for person before these periodizations.

Is there a work-around?

Yours Sincerely

Erik (research librarian and university teacher)

QSRSupport    76

Hi,

When looking at the Person classification, is your Birthdate attribute type equal to text, integer, or something else?

Also, when performing the advanced search, are you searching for attribute values equal to 19th and 18th etc. or are you searching for a value lower than 20th century?

Cheers,

Tane

ees    0

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes I have registered persons from the 16th 17th 18th century and I am trying to retrieve them with the advanced searching facilities.

I could also be interested in registring persons who existed in say 117 BC.

How can I manage these different pre-twentieth century chronological events?

Skål

Erik

QSRSupport    76

Hello Erik,

You may create a new attribute (BC), set it’s type as an integer and then assign values to it like 117, 115, etc. depending on your participants.

You will then be able to search for people based on this attribute's (BC) value. For e.g. to search for people who existed before 117, use attribute (BC) ‘>= value’ 117, as your advanced search criteria.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

ees    0

Dear Tane and Rahul

Thank you very much for your comments.

What I was trying to do was to classify Nodes or Sources with the a birth date and death date etc.

Valid data types
NVivo 10 for Windows | Switch to NVivo 10 for Mac

This topic describes the data types that can be used in NVivo to store values in:

• Dataset fields (columns)

• Node and source classification attributes

Data type Used to store Examples Text

Any textual content—letters, numbers, or characters.

In codable dataset columns, you can use this data type to store responses to open-ended survey questions.

In classifying dataset columns, use this data type to store range names (Age 20-29 years), city names (Memphis) or country names (Brazil).

Integer A number with no decimal places

Decimal A number with decimal places 874.95 Date A calendar date (month, day of month and year) 10/28/2010 Time A time (hours, minutes and seconds) 06:10:00 Date/Time A calendar date and time within a single value 10/28/2010 06:10:00 Boolean Value pairs True or False, Yes or No, 0 or 1 Source Shortcut Used only in datasets to store a link to another source in the project. n/a—this data type is automatically selected when you import binary objects from a database table or view.

E.G.: Tomaso Albinoni: 08-06-1671 as date of birth and 17-01-1751 as date of death; or Gajus Julius Caesar Octavianus 23-09-63 BC 19-08-14 AD (could this be written as date -00630819? or something like that), so you could avoid creating an BC and AD attribute. Now all this of course is connected with a specific religuosly defined chronology, but it is internationally used at the moment.

What I am interested in is search for specific dates, specific years and intervals both within the BC period (e.g.: 120-20 BC), the AD period (e.g.: 04-10-1420 to 30-09-1510) and crossing the BC-AD periodes (e.g.: 31 BC to 19 AD).

Is this at all possible with NVivo?

Whatever your answer thank you for your attempts and your time.

Yours Sincerely

Erik

QSRSupport    76

Hello Erik,

The default date type in NVivo 10 will not work for both A.D and B.C dates.

To work with B.C & A.D dates, you may create a new attribute with data type as integer and use your own convention.

For instance ‘00000000’, where the first four digits represent the B.C dates & the next four, the A.D dates. So for a value such as ‘00001208’, you know that it’s an A.D date as the first four digits are all zeros.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

ees    0

Dear Rahul

Thank You - I will have a go at it.

Yours Sincerely

Erik

ees    0

Hello Erik,

The default date type in NVivo 10 will not work for both A.D and B.C dates.

To work with B.C & A.D dates, you may create a new attribute with data type as integer and use your own convention.

For instance ‘00000000’, where the first four digits represent the B.C dates & the next four, the A.D dates. So for a value such as ‘00001208’, you know that it’s an A.D date as the first four digits are all zeros.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

Dear Rahul

I have tried the 8 digit Integer solution for Augustus 00630000 (year of Birth 63 BC) to 00000014 (year of death 14 AD) and as far as I can see it does not work.

I have also tried to create a classification attribute birth year BC, death year BC, Birth Year AD and death year AD, but haven't via "advanced find", been able to cross the BC/AD borderline en the correct manner. So i could retrieve all persons e.g. between 100 BC to 20 AD.

Yours Sincerely

Erik

QSRSupport    76

Hi Erik,

Another thing that you may try is create an Integer attribute which would represent birth year. Anything in B.C would be negative and anything in A.D would be positive. You may then run an Advanced find looking for values between 100 B.C to 20 A.D as shown in the attached image.

Please refer to the below help link for more information on running Advanced Find in NVivo 10:

http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/dialogs/advanced_find_and_search_folder_options.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta

Advanec Find.png