Selecting multiple attribute values

Hi,

May be a silly question.

I have participants in mental health research who identify as consumers/clients, carers/family, peer workers, advocates, volunteers, various (many) professional disciplines...and combinations thereof.

I'm wanting to create a node classification (person) attribute about, say, 'perspective/background', in relation to identified roles/perspectives.

Eg:

Mary is a consumer and a peer worker.

Steve is a GP and a carer.

Jenny is a psychologist, a researcher and a consumer.

When I create a 'Perspective' attribute (text or integer), in NVivo 10, I can add all the options. But I can only select one option (from the drop-down menu) for each person on their classification sheet.

Is there a way to be able to select multiple choices for each participant? Or does every 'perspective' need to be set up as a yes/no option separately?

Perhaps a clearer example would be 'languages spoken'. Could I 'tick' multiple language answers for a polyglot, or would I need to set up a yes/no for every language option spoken by everyone in the study?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Mathew

Hi Matthew,

Not a silly question, unfortunately you can only have a single value for each attribute for a node. To work around this, one method is to create multiple fields for the same attribute. So for example, you could have attributes "role1", "role2" and "role3". You could then set Mary's attributes as Role1 = Consumer and Role2 = Peer Worker

I will pass on your query to our technical team, as it may be something they would like to consider implementing in future releases.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further information.

Cheers

Simon

Thanks Simon, that helps.

Kind regards

Mathew

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am wanting to run a conditional filter based on multiple attribute values the classification sheet. For example, just like this post, we have created different attribute names for "Role1", "Role2", etc. We've also done this for "Local community 1", "Local Community 2", etc.

So, two questions:

1. I'm just wondering if there is a way to apply conditional filters for combinations of attributes, e.g. ‘Role 1’ OR ‘Role 2’ = consumer, AND ‘Local Community 1 ’ OR ‘Local Community 2’ = ‘New York’.

From what I have trialled I can only filter one column by one attribute value, and any subsequent columns can be filtered for another attribute value(s), but only from what is already filtered.

2. Is it possible to run a query based on the filtered cases?

Hope this makes sense..!

Thanks

Ju-Lin

Hi Ju-Lin,

1. It is correct that once a column has been filtered by an attribute value, the subsequent columns can be only be filtered for another attribute value.

2. You can run an Advanced Coding query and filter it for specific cases/attributes. Refer to the link below for more information:

http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_coding_query.htm#MiniTOCBookMark5

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhupesh

• 5 years later...

Hello @Irene,

Could you please elaborate on your data structure and what you would like to achieve? 

Regards,

• 5 months later...
On 5/13/2015 at 3:11 AM, QSRSupport said:

Hi Matthew,

Not a silly question, unfortunately you can only have a single value for each attribute for a node. To work around this, one method is to create multiple fields for the same attribute. So for example, you could have attributes "role1", "role2" and "role3". You could then set Mary's attributes as Role1 = Consumer and Role2 = Peer Worker

I will pass on your query to our technical team, as it may be something they would like to consider implementing in future releases.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further information.

Cheers

Simon

Hi there-- has this ever been developed? I could really use a multiple value option... I have jobs with several roles and contexts that I'm investigating... 

Hello @sherry-lee,

If your participants have multiple roles, you can create an attribute for each role such as Role1, Role 2.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

• 7 months later...

Heya - I'm also still looking for the ability to create multiple (or at least hierarchical) attributes, e.g.:

Mental health diagnosis:

• EUPD 
  • BPD
  • Bipolar disorder
  • GAD
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • PTSD

While I can of course create separate attributes (e/g MH diagnosis 1, MH diagnosis 2) etc, this becomes cumbersome, especially when people may have different combinations of each. Does anyone know of any workaround to this, or perhaps a different way of approaching this issue?

Thanks

Hello @Mark Adley,

I have performed many analyses with separate attributes, sometimes with 3-4 variations without having any issues when combinations are required.

Having said so, if you prefer not to create separate attributes, you can utilize attribute value codes for your cases then use attribute value and code filters in your queries.

I hope this helps,

Regards,

• 2 months later...

Hello @johnjohn,

Could you please elaborate more regarding what would you like to achieve?

Regards,