csarge

audio issues

csarge    9

hello! so i am having 2 major issues.

1) i have several audio files that I cannot get Nvivo to accept, despite them being mp3 files. i been saving them as Mov through through quicktime, but i guess i am just wondering if I will have to continue to do this for ALL my mp3s and m4as. Why does Nvivo have so much trouble accepting these standard audio formats?

2) i recently created a new folder within the internal folder, to separate my audio from my pdfs. the result of this is that all my audio files were "lost," and I had to reimport them all (or update the location of the file, despite them all being stored in the same file since i started the project. okay). BUT, i am having an issue where, when i try to relink the file in Nvivo to the audio in the folder, i get the message "The media file duration does not match the original linked file duration." this cannot be. I know these are the correct audio files for the given record in Nvivo, and i certainly haven't altered them or their duration. I run them in intunes to make sure the transcript of the file in question does match with the audio im trying to relink, and they are one and the same! but i cannot reimport the audio because according to Nvivo "they don't match". i don't want to delete the file entirely, because i will lose the transcript.

i'm totally perplexed.

QSRSupport    76

Hi CSarge,

When you convert the files in quicktime, can you make sure you select File -> Export -> Audio only from the menu. This should resolve the first part of your issue.

In regards to the error with the media files not matching the duration of the original files, in this case we will need to investigate further. Could you please go to the support form at the below link and submit a support request so that we can assist you further. The address is http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_contact-support.aspx

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,

Simon

jackenstein    11

Hello! I am having the exact same two issues as csarge and I'm wondering if anyone has found a way to address them.

#2 in particular is making my work very difficult because, like csarge, I had started transcribing my audios, then after I moved the MP3 files to a subfolder to reorganize my files, NVivo needs to relink to them (understandable) HOWEVER I get that same error csarge reported - even when I direct Nvivo to the exact same audio file in the new folder, it claims that "The media file duration does not match the original linked file duration." Impossible - they are the same files.This is maddening because I just want to finish my transcriptions and now Nvivo will no longer recognize the exact same files in a new location.

I've even tried the workaround of converting the files to M4A and exporting the transcript (so I can re-import and re-link it), but NVivo cannot read it's own exported transcript format, so I will have to reformat these exported transcripts if I want to relink them, when all I really want to do is continue to transcribe!

Please Help!

QSRSupport    76

Hello jackenstein,

Do you still get the error if you put the audio file back to its original folder location and relink to that?

Regards,

Andrew

jackenstein    11

Thanks for your response, Andrew - Yes, that does work. it's not ideal -- because I've pulled audio files from multiple places when I was first bringing them into my NVivo project file and my recent creation of the new folder was allowing me to consolidate all of my interview recordings. It took some serious sleuthing and lots of moving files around, because I couldn't remember the original file location -- but for now, it works.

QSRSupport    76

Hi jackenstein,

Was this project originally an NVivo for Mac project or did you convert an NVivo for Windows project containing the audio file and transcript to Mac format.

Regards,

Andrew

QSRSupport    76

Hi jackenstein,

So effectively every audio file that you moved then had this issue once relinking to the new directory?

Were your audio files initially in a directory on your local hard-drive and then did you move them to another directory onto your hard-drive?

Regards,

Andrew

jackenstein    11

Hi Andrew -

Yes - every file that I moved, I was unable to re-link. The audio files were all initially in a google drive folder (the kind that is also on my hard drive), then I created a subfolder inside that folder and moved the audio files into that folder. Just in case it helps to make it more clear: I had a folder called "interviews" where I was storing my audio files. Then, within "interviews" I created a subfolder called "recordings" (so I could also create another subfolder with "interview data") and moved the audio files there. That's where they would not re-link and kept saying the files were a different duration. Just as another note, I know that NVivo project files don't work well in network folders, so my project file is on my hard drive, not in a google drive folder.

Thanks again!

QSRSupport    76

Hi jackenstein,

So to clarify, when you move the audio files from the recordings folder (which is the subfolder of the interviews folder in the google drive folder) back to the interviews folder and relink the error no longer occurs?

What happens if you move the audio files directly onto your hard drive say Documents (non google drive folder) folder and link from there. Do you get the error?

Regards,

Andrew

jackenstein    11

Hi QSR Support: 

I'm back with the same issue again. I didn't resolve my issue before, but instead chose to not move and re-organize my audio files. Now, my original computer died and so I am working in my NVivo project on a new computer - thus, the file path to the linked interviews cannot be the same, and my NVivo file will not recognize the audio files that were the original linked files (they are still on Google drive). Since I did a lot of transcription in NVivo - it is really imperative that I can relink the files because I need the audio to be linked to my transcripts. I tried moving the audio into a non-google drive folder (documents), but NVivo continues to say "Cannot change to linked media. The media file duration does not match the original linked file duration." This isn't true, because it is the same file. I have attached a screenshot, if it is helpful. Because I have nearly 50 transcripts and files, it would be a lot of excess time and energy to export the transcript, format it so it can import back into NVivo, re-import the file, and then re-import the transcript for all of them. Please help me relink my audio files! Thank you. 

Jackenstein