lkstone

View jumps around while coding transcript

lkstone    7

When coding transcripts that are attached to audio files (some imported and some created in NVivo), the script in the window jumps around, making it very difficult to move smoothly through the transcript. For example, I'll highlight a sentence and when I release the mouse, the view will jump to a previous point in the transcript. I have to scroll down to see the sentence that I've just highlighted. Then I can right-click and code the sentence, but when I click in the transcript box after coding, the view jumps to another point in the interview and I have to scroll down to continue to code the interview from where I left off. This adds lots of time to coding and means that it is very easy to skip over portions of the interview with all of the jumping around.

This might be connected to the issue that another user was having in which the transcript window doesn't scroll down as you type, meaning that you can type, adding text to the box, but the window doesn't scroll down. I think it might be jumping back to the top of the entire interview for some actions and to the top of the timed box (with a start time and end time) for others.

• Like 1

QSRSupport    76

Hi ow213,

We did not hear back from lkstone so cannot advise on the outcome of that.

Could you please advise:

a. If you were able to code transcript in the past OK without the view jumping?

b. the version of NVivo for Mac you're running (start NVivo for Mac with the application icon and the version is below the 'Welcome...' text)

c. try coding transcript in the sample project (click the create copy of the sample project... link on the 'Welcome...' screen) - does the view jump?

Regards,

Andrew

lkstone    7

I'm not sure what happened to the request for support, Andrew. I still have that issue, but it seems to be an issue of the program scrolling within an interview transcript entry. When I first got NVivo, I just imported a lot of interview transcripts so that the entire transcript was in one 'transcript entry' associated with the audio file. I think it jumped around because after you highlight a selection that is large enough that you have to scroll down to continue highlighting, there is some default view that it jumps back to after you code. (Maybe it is the middle of the transcript entry? It doesn't seem to snap back either to the top of the entry or the bottom, but the view definitely changes.)

I still have that issue, but only for very long transcript entries. One thing that helps is just to code an entire transcript entry as something instead of trying to code a piece of a transcript entry. Depending on how you use the transcription tool, or how you code, this might not work for you, but for me and the project I'm working on right now, it is working.

Undoubtedly though, it would be much better for the text to remain stable after highlighting and coding a piece of a transcript entry.

QSRSupport    76

Hi lkstone,

The issue referred by ow213 and yourself is a known issue that we have logged and prioritised for consideration for correction in a future release of NVivo.

Regards,

Andrew

IOFarmer    2

Hello,

Has a fix been found for this issue? I just ran into it with text responses. When I code responses in a long list it keeps jumping back to the beginning of the list of responses, which is making the coding more time consuming and prone to missed coding. My Nvivo version is 11.3.2.779.

QSRSupport    76

Hello IOFarmer,

Can you please provide us one of the text documents in which you are experiencing this issue by submitting a support form at: http://www.qsrinternational.com/customer-support and mentioning this forum post?

Also, please update your NVivo for Mac to the latest version by referring to: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support/downloads/nvivo11-for-mac

Regards,

Rahul

joh    10

I have a similar problem. I am going through a node that has entries from an imported .doc file, and coding the content in that node in under-nodes. The node view jumps to somewhere else after every new coding I do. The coding I'm doing should not affect the content in the node I'm vieving.

QSRSupport    76

Hi joh,

Just to clarify, you’re currently viewing a parent node and you’re coding to child nodes under this parent. Is that correct?

If you have node aggregation turned on for your parent node, the detail view will refresh when you code to these child nodes to reflect these new references. It sounds like this may be what's happening in your case.

You can find some information about node aggregation at the following link:

http://help-nv11mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/aggregate_nodes.htm

Regards,

Heather