Darren McDonald

Increasing the Size of Audio & Video Data that can Be Fully Embedded in a Project

Hello,

At the moment the default setting for fully embedding an audio or video file is 20MG which can be changed to a limit of 40MB.

I understand from the posts in the NVivo Wndows Forum that the 40MB limit is imposed because having data and the project size too large impairs the performance of NVivo - makes it slow and open to the opportunity of freezing/crashing.

I was wondering if this limit can be revisited considering the changes and performance of the current lineup of Macs?

Nearly all Mac laptops/notebooks have SSD drives, high CPU performance, dedicated graphic memory and so on. For instance, my customized MacBook Pro 15" is an extremely fast machine. Even my iMac, which is a number of years old, was the first to have the "fusion drive" and is performs very well.

I understand that there maybe users who need to export projects to a Windows Nvivo format that may be used on a PC with less power. So keeping the default at 20MB makes sense in this scenario.

Thus my suggestion is to keep the default at 20MB. BUT, if at all technically possible, take the limit completely off what for what the user can set at their decision.

I have video and even many audio files that go beyond the 40MB limit. I want to embed these files entirely in the project. Not being able to fully embed means that I actually face MORE issues with NVivo - like having having to re-link the externally stored files and other issues.

I hope the current limit can be reconsidered and lifted as I described above.

Looking forward to some feedback.

Cheers! :)

Darren

Hi Darren,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I’ll pass this onto our Product Manager who collates all feature requests and prioritizes them accordingly.

Cheers,

Tane

Hi Darren,

I have had the same issue before and found a temporary solution until developer team finalize their work for the future release.

By default audio recorders use high quality setting for the audio which ends up with a large file size. For example, with my recorder an hour of interview recording takes more than 40 MB in mp3 file format which I cannot import into my project file as you mentioned.

Thus, in order to reduce the file size I utilize a freeware called Audacity. With its predefined settings you can reduce size of an mp3 file 8 to 10 times smaller.

Hope this helps,

Hi Can,

Thank you for the temporary workaround.

My own workaround for audio files has to be lower the quality using iTunes. But in doing so, depending on how low the quality is, the sounds becomes muffled.

So I will definitely try Audacity and see if it can reduce the size without too much loss to quality. I will work through the manual to see how to do this.

The remaining issue is with video files. Because the topic of my research is now becoming mainstream here in Japan, there are many television broadcasts in the form of in-depth news/documentaries and coverage of forums and so on.

For video files, I have been using Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr) to reduce the file size. For example, a 30-minute television program (high definition) is in the original form about 1.4 GB. With Handbrake I can get it down to about 150-180MB at a level of quality where the visual and audio quality is good enough to work with. Any lower, the video quality is so low it can be used for analysis. So, I hope that the limit to embed projects in NVivo is lifted soon.

Thanks again for the information Can. :)

Cheers! :)

Darren