nurselil

export video transcript

Hello Nurselil,

I am a fellow user and needed to do the same thing as you.

I stumbled on one way of doing this.

1. First, in the transcript display, select a cell in the transcript itself with a left click of the mouse. It can be a cell under either the "Start Time", "End Time", "Transcript" or "Speaker" columns. (Make sure you select a cell otherwise this will not work).

2. Then right click the same cell and you will see in the right-click menu the option "Export..." (directly under "Edit").

3. Select "Export..." and then a "Save as" Window will appear. You are then able to save the entire transcript in a number of different formats. The format at the top is ".doxc" format. However, you can select other formats as "PDF" or "Tab Separated Text (.txt).

There may be an easier way to do this. However, I could not find anything in the main menus.

Maybe QSR support have a better answer.

I hope this helps you out in the meantime.

Cheers! :)

Darren

Hi Nurselil and Darren,

Darren’s steps are good ones, and they should help you to export the transcript. I have seen a few instances where people try to export the transcripts but end up with exported audio/video.

The process for exporting the transcript can be a little strange, and I usually advise people to select and highlight a portion of their text before right-clicking and selecting Export.

Cheers,

Tane

• Like 1

Hello Tane,

Thank you for confirming that my steps are correct. And also for the sage advice to select and highlight a portion of the text (i.e. transcript) before right-clicking.

In fact, when I first tried exporting the transcript, I ended up with exporting only the audio/video. So I stumbled around and selected as you described and was able to export the transcript. But for some reason now, as long as I do the same thing for any of the fields (i.e. Time, Transcript or Speaker) I always am able to export the transcript. So it seems the important thing is to make sure the cell is well and truly selected.

But from now on, I will only select the transcript and this is what I will share with other users of NVivo for Mac.

I would like to suggest that this option to export the transcript be included in the top menus, not hidden only in a right-click sub menu. Also that this procedure be documented in NVivo's help. Search results in Help bring up nothing about exporting transcripts.

One last thing, will NVivo for Mac be able to import the transcript that was exported in the TXT format (i.e. include all the time stamps, transcript and speakers)? Also, what would be the case for importing into NVivo or Windows? Which format is best for the transcript to be exported in if the exported transcript from NVivo for Mac can be imported in Nvivo for Windows?

(I would normally try to figure this out myself, but I working on a critical research project at the moment that I don't want to possibly mess up).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Darren

Hi Darren,

The format in which the transcripts are exported from NVivo for Mac is different to the format acceptable to be imported into NVivo for Mac or NVivo 10 for Windows.
The exported transcripts will need to be reformatted to be able to import into NVivo for Mac or NVivo 10 for Windows.
NVivo for Mac currently supports importing only .txt files as transcripts, so you may export your transcripts as .txt files, if you wish to import it into NVivo for Mac, after formatting them appropriately.

I will pass on your suggestion to our technical team for consideration in future versions of NVivo.

Also, the information on exporting a transcript from NVivo for Mac is currently documented in the NVivo for Mac online help, and can be accessed at the below link:
http://help-nv10mac.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/import_audio_or_video_transcripts.htm#MiniTOCBookMark5

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Rahul Gupta

Hello Rahul,

Thanks for the passing on the suggestion to the technical team.

Also, thank you for providing the link to "Help" that explains the export system.

When I stated "search" of "Help" and could not find anything about exporting transcripts, with your link I can now see why.

The search result brought back a list of titles including the one you provided a link to. However from the search results all you see is "Import audio or video transcripts". So, I did not clue onto this particular "Help" item amongst all the others as also including information on how to export a transcript.

In reading the description of the this help section, the second sentence states, "This topic explains how to prepare, import and export transcripts.". So maybe a "Help" topic heading that reflects this would be great. Something like, "Import, Prepare and Export audio or video transcripts". Just a suggestion. :)

Also, and more importantly, when actually I followed the "Help" instructions for exporting the transcript in the ribbon, instead of the transcript the audio file was exported. Am I doing something wrong? The Help instructions state to select "Items", but this exports only the audio filed. HOWEVER, if I select "List", it exports the actual transcript which is what I was after. Though the term "List" did not at first clue me that "List", in this case, meant the transcript. Could you look into this? And does "List" only export transcripts? Does it export other items?

Also, the top menu lists Data>Export Items. Under this is just the heading "List" and "Classification Sheets". As a suggestion, it may be more intuitive to also add "Export" before both "List" and "Classification Sheets". To me the Menu "Export Items" gives a sense that the user will be given a choice of what item is to be exported.

I hope you take my suggestions as my of offering to enhance the user experience. It is not a complaint. I am just describing my experience when I wanted to export a transcript and the confusion I faced. So it would be great if these suggestions could also be considered.

Darren

Hi Darren,

I will certainly pass on your suggestions to the concerned team for consideration, as they may be helpful for other customers as well.

As you may already know that QSR forum is not actively monitored and if you prefer a quicker service, you can contact us via our support request form at: http://qsrinternational.com/support_contact-support.aspx

We will love to hear any other suggestions or feedback you may have for NVivo.

Regards,

Rahul Gupta