arneolav

error + crash "invalid attribute value"

Under source classifications > attributes, I'm using the attribute type "Date" to append dates to my sources. Upon entering a date, I'm getting the error message "invalid attribute value," even though I'm choosing a date from the dialogue box that appears. Upon continuing, despite the error message, nvivo crashes.

I'm really anxious to find out of this, eventually find a different way of classifying a selection of socurces with a date, as I'm under a lot of pressure finishing an article ;) Anyone?

The crash report reads as follows (also attached):

Version = 10.0.638.0
Exception = System.ArgumentException
Message = Invalid date/time attribute value: '2015-08-15 00:00:00Z'
FullText = System.ArgumentException: Invalid date/time attribute value: '2015-08-15 00:00:00Z'
at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.Domain.AttributeValue.Validate()
at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.ObjectMapper.AttributeValueMapper.DoInsert(AttributeValue anAttributeValue, i2 aCreateOptions)
at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.ObjectMapper.BusinessObjectMapper`1.InsertIntoDatabase(T aBusinessObject, i2 aCreateOptions)
at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.ObjectMapper.ObjectMapperSuite.InsertIntoDatabase(BusinessObject aBusinessObject, i2 aCreateOptions)
at es.a()
at if.a(oa A_0)
at i1.a(AttributeValue A_0, Boolean A_1)
at i1.e(AttributeValue A_0)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.CategorizableItemPropertiesControl.a[a](a A_0)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.SourcePropertiesDialog.q()
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.SourcePropertiesDialog.a(Boolean& A_0)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.SourcePropertiesDialog.k(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at q6.a(ContainerControl A_0)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.CommandHandlers.SourceCommandHandler.DisplaySourceProperties(Source A_0, ContainerControl A_1, Boolean A_2)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.SourceListControl.a(Source A_0)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.SourceListControl.aa()
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.CommandHandlers.SourceCommandHandler.u(cm A_0)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.CommandHandlers.SourceCommandHandler.Execute(cm A_0)
at cm.c()
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.SourceListControl.b(Object A_0, ToolClickEventArgs A_1)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OnToolClick(Control A_0, Object A_1, ToolClickEventArgs A_2)
at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.a(Object A_0, ToolClickEventArgs A_1)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.ToolBase.OnShortcutKeyPressed()
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupToolBase.OnShortcutKeyPressed()
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.TryProcessShortcut(Int32 keyCode, Keys modifierKeys)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.System.Windows.Forms.IMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(Message& msg)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.MessageFilterManager.ProcessMessage(Message& msg, KeyDownInfo keyDownInfo)
at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.MessageFilterManager.System.Windows.Forms.IMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(Message& msg)
at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.MessageFilterManager.System.Windows.Forms.IMessageFilter.PreFilterMessage(Message& m)

Hi arneolav,

To further investigate your issue, could you please provide me a screenshot of the date you're applying to your attribute.

Also, please navigate to 'Start' --> 'Control Panel' --> 'Region and Language' and provide a screen shot of the date and time formats you are using.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi arenolav,

Could you try replicating this issue on the sample project to determine whether it is or is not something specific with your project.

If you do not have a copy of the sample project, you can download it via the following link:

https://www.qsrinternational.com/support_resource-articles_detail.aspx?view=621

Please advise the outcome.

Regards,

Andrew

I also tried installing Nvivo on a different machine, also running Windows 10, and the exact same thing happens there.

Just a question, while you're looking into this (which I appreciate, by the way): Is there another sensible way of adding a date to a source to make the source searchable by date? I'm analyzing a lot of texts written by 14 students during the course of a school year; the texts are gathered as pdfs (620 in total), and I wish to be able to search and see if and eventually how grammatical features (which I code) evolves during the year; e.g. visualizing when grammatical category X, Y and Z appears on a timeline, and how this relates to other (coded) grammatical features.

HI arneolav,

Did you replicate the same issue using the existing classification sheet in the sample project or did you import your classification sheet being used in the other project and replicate using that classification sheet?

Also, your approach using attributes is the best method.

Regards,

Andrew

I first added an attribute "date" to one of the existing classifications (Web Page) and then appended the classification Web Page to one of the sources, trying to give it a date, yielding the same results as described in the OP. I then made a new classification (in the classification left pane: rigth click > new classification), and tried the same with that one, to the same result.

(Quick question: I'm currently in the process of tagging all texts, and I'm wondering if there are workarounds for this date attribute that I can settle on and eventually revisit the documents later for this attribute only, when the problem is fixed. I'd hate to change for a different software if this is fixable)

Hi arneolav,

It's an unusual error and we cannot replicate at our end. The Z in the error log reference 2015-08-15 00:00:00Z is indicating a UTC date. The date/time stamp on your computer is including the Z (even though not visible on your screen) which is why you get the invalid attribute message appearing in the dialog box at first. It's likely to do with your computer's time/date or other settings.

If you would like, we can arrange a remote session to further investigate your issue. To proceed with this, please submit a support request form at:

https://www.qsrinternational.com/support_contact-support.aspx

Regards,

Andrew

One last question (I think): since I have the same problem on two different machines, both win 10, and it affects both my project file and the supplied demo file; is there a problem related to win 10, and will I be better off by downgrading to Win 7 or (god forbid) Win 8 in the meantime?