BrynLander

Referring back to specific lines or paragraphs in source documents

I recently switched from using Atlas.ti to NVivo. Previously, when I was analysing my data, I would code it, go through my codes and write related memos and in those memos refer back to the lines in the source document that I was drawing the information from in my memo. I would just do this in brackets in my memos (i.e. PD16:115 would mean primary document 16, line 115).

I find this to be really important to my work. It's like adding a page number to your notes when you're reading a book. It enables me to go back to the primary source and add information/quotes/details etc if I feel like I need them later on while I am fleshing out a memo.

So far in Nvivo I have found no way to refer back to specific lines and/or paragraphs in source documents, particularly if I am looking at references from source documents in the nodes view. For a while I was using the reference number in a node as a way to sort of track where I was getting information from for specific pieces of information in memos, but then I realised that the reference number changes when you add more codes to a specific source.

How can I concretely refer back to a specific line and/or paragraph in a source document, ideally while I am viewing a reference from that source document in the node view? Is that possible in Nvivo?

Thanks.

Hi BrynLander,

What you could do here is use Annotations:

1. Right-click the selection you want to reference

2. Select Links > Annotation > New Annotation

3. Type what you require for the Annotation.

When you start NVivo and need to refer to Annotations in your project:

1. Open your source and click the View tab

2. Select the Annotations checkbox in the Links section of the ribbon.

For more details on Annotations, check out the following help link:

http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/concepts/about_annotations.htm

Regards,

Andrew

I'm not sure if annotations would do it. It looks like annotations are separate notes directly tied to places in source documents. What I'm looking at is a way to refer to specific places in a source document in a memo.

For example:

Memo 1

The organisation had been established in 1951 (source 1: paragraph 3). Many people who worked there were proud of its history (source 3: paragraph 3, source 2: paragraph 5) but others thought that its age was a sign of stasis (source 1: paragraph 16, source 4: paragraph 24).

It's the references made in the brackets that I want to be able to make using NVivo, ideally while looking at quotes in the Node view.

HI Bryn,

yes, I think this is important too....it used to happen in very old versions of NV that at least paragraphs were numbered.

one workaround that may be useful is:

(before coding)

add line numbers in Word

save as PDF

import the PDF (if you import the Word doc, line numbers do not import)

Cheers, Jennifer

Hi BrynLander,

What you could do here is select the specific content, copy and then paste it into a new memo as a See-Also link to effectively work as a bookmark. You could name the memo to your liking. Once you need to go back to your last bookmark, right-click the memo and select 'Open Linked Item'.
For more details on memos, please refer to the following help link topics:
Also if you want to add a line number, you can get that from the source view. If you click anywhere within the source view of a document, the line number is shown in the status bar.
Regards,
Andrew