[[Template core/global/global/lkeyWarning is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
katmatz

Unexplained number of references in classification nodes

Hello,

I have created a number of classification nodes and linked them to PDF documents. When I link any pdf an unexplained number of references appear next to each one of the nodes. I am the only user of the NVivo project so no one else codes besides me. When I check where these references correspond to, 50% is always linked to the whole body of the pdf document followed by much smaller percentages link to blank entries.

Any ideas?

Thank you

Hi Katmatz,

That is how Nvivo handles PDF files, and it is a well know issue.

If you code a whole PDF document to a node. You will see number of references is equal to total page size of that PDF document +1.

To avoid this you must sacrifice either text or pictures inside that PDF file.

If you have a whole text PDF then on Home button choose "text" from the selection and press CTRL+A to select whole PDF then you can code whole document to a node with correct number of references. In this case you cannot select any pictures inside that document.

Similarly, if you need to work with pictures then you should select "region" from the selection then follow the steps mentioned above. In this case you cannot select any text inside that document.

Hope this helps,

and hope QSR will find a solution for this.