Sharing my NVivo Project with my Advisor

Hi,

I am currently working on my dissertation research. I am using NVivo 11 for Windows (64 bit). I would like to share my project with my advisor. Can you please inform me about how to share NVivo project? Also, I wonder whether it would be an issue if she is using MAC instead of PC?

Thanks,

Fatih

Hi Fatih,

You should first locate your project file stored in Documents folder by default and identified by .nvp extension(for example, projectname.nvp). Once located, please convert the file to Mac format as specified in the link below:

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/save_and_copy_projects.htm#MiniTOCBookMark7

The converted file will show with .nvpx extension(for example, projectname.nvpx) and you can share it via one of the following methods:

1. Copy the file to an external drive/usb drive and transfer it to your advisor's PC.

2. Copy the file to online storage like Dropbox and share the download link with your advisor.

Please note that your advisor needs to be on NVivo for Mac version 11 to open your file as NVivo files are not backwards compatible and cannot be opened in an earlier version.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhupesh

Dear Bhupesh,

Your answer is really helpful to me. I just have one last question. I think my advisor does not use NVivo Pro 11. However, as far as I know, I can use my current license up to two computers. Will it be possible if my advisor installs NVivo Pro 11 through using my license? I also wonder that my NVivo is for windows. Will my advisor be able to install NVivo by using my license to her MAC computer? Or shall she find a PC to do that?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Kind Regards,

Fatih

Hi Fatih,

Our records show that you are using a single user license and your NVivo 11 Pro license can be used to activate NVivo for Mac version 11.The terms and conditions for installation and use of a single license are as follows:

1.1 Installation and Use

You may:

a) install and use a copy of the Software on one personal computer or other device (“Device”); and

B) install and use an additional copy of the Software on a second, portable Device for the exclusive use of the primary user of the first Device.

The rights to install an additional copy of the Software do not permit use of the Software on both the first and second Device at the same time.

Therefore, you should not be sharing the license with another user.

I would recommend your advisor to purchase their own copy of the software. Pricing and online order entry is available via the QSR website at:

http://www.qsrinternational.com/buy-nvivo

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Bhupesh

Hi Bhupesh,

I am so confused. When I purchased the NVivo, I was told that the license is valid up to two computer. So far, I am the only one who is using the software. Therefore, I thought that my advisor can install NVivo by using my license because I have the right to use the software up to two computer. I do not understand then why she needs to purchase a new software.

In any case, I think she might have NVivo in her university purchased by her university but I am afraid that it is an older version. Therefore, I wanted her to have the same version so we can work on the same project. Can you please make clear for me whether she can use my license or not? Otherwise, I do not understand how using Nvivo in a second computer will help me?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Archived