JessicaB

One row in table = one reference

I have imported a Word document with my data in a table. When I code two subsequent rows at the same node it is counted as one reference. I need there to be one reference for each row. I have done this before without problems. At one point it seemed as if just copy pasting the table (Internal source) would fix this, but no. In that case, there seems to be limitations as regards the width of the table, which means that my last columns are missing. Apparently, this means that each row can be counted as one reference (if I sort of continue marking the text outised the table) but it is not a good solution since part of my data is missing.

Overall it is a problem that two items, for example words in a text, which are coded at the same node automatically are merged and counted as one reference. I have encountered this before since I am working primarily with texts. This means that if I want to use NVivo I have to engage in a number of operations (like introducing line breaks, or copy/pasting part of the text into a table) before my data is imported into NVivo.

Hi Jessica,

Contagious references that have been coded to the same node will be merge automatically. What may be happening here is that there is a space (or other whitespace) that has also been coded to the node which is joining the two references together.

Uncording this space should split the two references up so that they are counted as two separate references.

Cheers,

Tane

No, there are no spaces. What I cannot get my head around is that I have prepared my data in exactly the same way as before, and I have not had this problem with the tables. If I try to code my old material today though I encounter the same problem with merging rows. How can that be explained?

Another thing that may be related is that data that I have coded before also seem to be displayed differently (I have not touched any of this material now). When I look at the references, the row above is also included and the text is in gray instead of black. According to coding stripes, this row is now part of the reference and coded the same way - but it is not! (not by my hand anyway). if I run queries all the numbers are correct and in line with my coding, but when I look at the references separately they look as if they consist of two rows. Again, I have not coded or recoded any of that material. Something seems to be wrong.

I submitted a screenshot in your support forum two days ago. Would be grateful for help since this matter means that I cannot proceed with my analysis.

Jessica