SharonG

Text search on annotations not available in NVivo 11?

SharonG    2

Hello,

I'm a new NVivo user, and just upgraded to NVivo 11 (Pro).

I'm sure I was able to do a text search on annotations (an option was given to search sources, annotations or both). This option doesn't seem to be available in NVivo 11, although the help seems to indicate it can be done.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot.

Sharon

• Like 1

QSRSupport    76

Hi SharonG,

This functionality was removed in NVivo 11.

I will pass this onto our product manager who prioritizes user feedback and requests to best decide what changes are made in future updates.

Cheers, Tane

SharonG    2

Hi Tane,

Thanks for the response.

I would really like to see the functionality put back. The annotations are much less useful now that I can't search the notes I've made.

Hope to see the functionality back soon!

Rgrds,

Sharon

• Like 1

walters    1

Hi,

is there any news to when we users can expect the re-introduction of the text search function for annotations? How on earth could QSR ever think of removing this function? This really is a serious setback!

Regards

Walter

• Like 1

QSRSupport    76

Hi Walter,

The decision to remove Annotations from Text Search was made as part of the process to make the user experience less complicated in NVivo 11. Our analytics indicated that Annotations were searched for vary rarely with the query operations. So with that information and our aim to simplify, we removed them.

We did discover that people use the Find function to locate particular annotations that they have made. And this capability is still available in NVivo 11.

We would be interested in knowing what you are trying to achieve with the Text Search query and Annotations – is it a case of simply trying to locate annotations on a particular topic, or is the aim something else?

Regards,

Bhupesh

walters    1

Hi Bupesh,

thank you for taking up this issue!

I thought the Find function was for finding particular project items? II was not aware that it is possible to search for text strings, too? I tried to find a text string in an annotation and source text, but can't figure out how to do it, If this is possible I would be much obliged if you could post a quick hands on guide and all is well.

As to your question what I am "trying to achieve with the Text Search query and Annotations" - as the project grows I use it frequently to find particular text strings which I know I wrote in an annotation, but not exactly in which document and in which annotation. I am surprised that you highlight this as an uncommon use, my colleagues here at UiT as well as the original poster do the same.

By the way: I never understood why NVivo since its version 7 has departed from allowing to link an unlimited number f fully searchable and codeable memos and introduced a distinction between memos and annotations. As pointed out quite often, the use of a single memo link to a source (or parts of it) serves at best to support a very particular style of analysis. I dare say for the majority of qualitative methodologies this is an annoying limitation! I would very much like to see NVivo allowing to link memos the way it was working quite nicely in version 2.

FYI, I posted the same in the suggestions-folder in this thread: http://forums.qsrinternational.com/index.php?showtopic=6096 where I got a response from Kath McNiff. I hope I didn't cause any confussion, please feel free to merge the two threads.

Cheers

Walter

QSRSupport    76

Hi Walter,

You can use Find to quickly locate words or phrases in a source or node, including word or phases in annotations. Refer to the link below for detailed information:

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/find_and_replace_text.htm

In regards to your feedback about Memo links and distinction between memos and annotations, I have passed it onto our Product team for consideration in future editions.

Regards,

Bhupesh

benmeehan    1

Just in support of Walter's thread, up to now, the only way to report on annotations was to run a text search that pulled all annotations, or annotations with certain characters into a node which effectively gave you a report of all requisite annotations and their related content. This function is now gone! Nor is there a facility to create an NVivo report using the annotations field which renders annotations as ineffective unless you want to view them one by one in collections or view by coding all your sources to a single node and use the find button to see them one-by-one.

We recently worked on a project using Interpretive Phenomenological Analysis (IPA). The first phase of this analysis involves reading and initial noting (Smith, 2008). Our client did this by creating over eight hundred annotations. When she went to report this work to her supervisor, we were fortunate that she was still using version 10 so we could retrieve and report. If she had been using version 11 we would have been in trouble.

While this facility may not have been used in great numbers, it is still very important in some methods and I'm sure QSR do not wish to be accused of being too quantitative in their thinking about these matters which would be quite ironic :) The text search tool defaulted to a standard search so one had to change the "search in" option to include annotations. As users had to make a positive decision to change to annotations It's hard to see how removing this option simplified the query as regular users did not have to do anything to exclude annotations.

I would dearly like to see this feature returned and I also agree with Walter that linking memos to more than one item or linking items to more than one memo is a facility that we regularly get asked about in our training workshops and in our online training sessions. This user need will not turn in analytics because it has not been available since version 2. Of course see also links are the workaround but they are just that, a workaround.

If one looks at the literature going back into the 40s, it describes three key functions of qualitative data analysis: indexing, annotating and memoing. Indexing is coding in today's terms but annotating and memoing primary data is the only means of putting missing context back during the encoding process where one is effectively taking things out of context. Anything QSR can do to elevate these functions will go to the very heart of best practice in qualitative data analytics.

• Like 1

I am very surprised to find out that the option to search for text in Annotations was removed.This feature has been particularly useful in different research team projects over the past years. I actually have been using 'NVivo 11 Plus' for several months now, I just happened to need that feature today. I would really like to see the functionality put back too.

Hello  - I just had a very helpful conversation with a QSR technical expert, who found a workaround for this problem, which really did give me a nasty shock.  You can still query annotations in compound queries - just use the same search terms in both sub-queries and select annotations in criteria.  

Jonathan