Hello, I am setting up a new project and trying to figure out how to set up my cases in a meaningful way. To give a little context…The issue that I’m running into has to with creating overlapping/nested cases. I study school districts. I originally had it set up as participants/people are the cases. Methodologically this felt off because schools are also cases. Also, we have data that isn’t associated with a person/people. I went to set up nested/tree cases, putting teachers within schools, but we also have participants who work for the district in multiple schools.

So my question is, when there are multiple kinds of cases and data sources how do I link everything in a way that will be helpful down the line when running queries? (I've been playing around with different kinds of cases, case & source classifications, relationships, etc.)

thanks for any advice!

Hi,

The best method to link schools, districts and participants/people, is to use Case Classification.

First you should create cases for each of the participant and code your sources to the respective cases. You can then create a new Case Classification with District, School etc. as Attributes and district name, school name etc as Attribute Values. After assigning these attributes to each of your cases(people) you can run queries based on attributes. For example, your Case Classification may look like this:

Participant 1 Participant 2 Participant 3

School A B A

District X X Y

Please refer to the link below obtain better understanding of Classifications:

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/concepts/about_classifications.htm

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/create_case_classifications.htm

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhupesh

Hello and thank you very much, this does help. I would love to ask just one follow up question:

The one thing I'm still a little concerned about has to do with sources that are not linked to a person - we have a ton. I originally had the file set up as you described. To better account for sources that are linked to places and not people I'm considering doing 1 of 2 things:

• Using the system you described (it's how I've set up files in the past) and then for sources that are not linked to people have attributes/values that connect them with places (within a source classification) and they just won't live within a 'case'OR
  • Have the cases set up in a 'tree node' kind of fashion - i.e. School A then within that Person A, Person B, etc. That way I can code sources that are not linked to people to at the location's case (i.e. school).

What do you think?

Thanks again!

Kristin

Hi Kristin,

If nothing has been coded from some of the sources to the cases and you would like to link everything together, it is best to code the data from sources to respective cases. Tree nodes structure as you advised can be really helpful for you to clearly identify the data related school and participants individually.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Bhupesh

Hello Bhupesh, thanks so much for all the helpful advice - I'm going to move forward with a combination of 'tree node - cases' and a set of classifications/attributes/values to link everything.

Thank you,

Kristin