Janina

Export dataset

Hi everyone

Since it isn't possible to create diagrams out of NVivo for Mac, I was wondering, how I can export my dataset into excel. I know I have to export it into Word first, but I can't "select" and export it because the export option isn't available for the whole or selected parts of the dataset... Is there a work-around?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Janina,

There would not appear to be a work-around and have informed our Product Manager, who collates all feature requests and prioritizes them accordingly, for the exportation of datasets to Excel format.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi again Janina,

Remembering your previous posts, I assume you are trying to export your Facebook dataset that you have imported from NCapture. As mentioned before, currently it is NOT possible to select and export a dataset in Nvivo for Mac.

However, there is a workaround for this issue.

Since you have your data in hand, just go and code however you like. Then use matrix coding query for the themes/concepts that you would like to create a chart for.

Each matrix coding query will provide you a table, export this matrix coding query table as a docx file. Then open that file and select table and paste it into a cell of your blank spreadsheet in Excel and chose "match destination style".

Voila! There is your table in excel which you can use to create a chart of your selection.

Hope this helps,

Your help is very appreciated - thank you so much! I used this method and it works.

The problem is, this way it still doesn't show me some of the data I need (especially for quoting the individual post). I can only get the matrix coding query table, but not - let's say - the date of the post, other coding I did for an individual post, the author, etc... especially the dates would have been nice to show the over all action on facebook. I did it manually but it took a very long time.

The same problem is with the references: If I want to see what I coded for a specific node, I only see a list of the facebook-post. If I want to quote a post in my work, I would have to find the exact post in the dataset and then get the information I need for quoting...

I have to say, I am a little disappointed in the software. but again, I thank you very much for your input!

Have a nice weekend!

Janina

Hi again Janina,

It is possible to see those data on a matrix coding query! All you need to do is to code and classfiy information in your data set. Then use matrix coding query via adding those variables into either rows or columns. For example: If you properly code your imported Facebook data, it is possible to see the username/author on the row and date, post, and other nodes on the columns.

Yes, I do agree that it would have been much more easier if we had a "simple"!!! export functionality. I hope developers of QSR Mac team are trying to do their best to solve the problem.

Hope this helps,