project file size has doubled

Dear all

I would like to report an issue that I encountered yesterday when creating a backup of my project file (the backup is saved on a server). From one day to the next, the file size doubled - from 400MB to more than 800MB.

This is quite strange, since I only captured some newspaper articles during that day..(I keep around 30 seperate back-ups and the file size from one back-up to the next is usually much smaller).

Accordingly, when I now want to copy the project to our university server, it takes much longer (and, maybe that's of interest: there shortly appears the notice "no responding"). However, the project (and the backup) can be opened and work just fine.

I'm just a bit afraid that those 'phantom' size increases will repeat and my project will become difficult to manage. (since I've only uploaded and coded maybe a third of the data)

Thanks for your help!

PeterS

I have the same issue , about the 'not responding' status , this appears to be quite normal for Nvivo. I'm using Nvivo 11 on Win10 with 4GB ram on a +2GHz laptop and yet if i want to export a node or compute a matrix with aproximate filesize of max. 10Megabyte(s) Nvivo goes into a non responding frenzy which can last for hours. To make it even worse if you need to force a shut down on Nvivo (because for example your workplace is closing at 19PM) you will lose all work until last time you saved and closed the project instead of the last save....

Hi PeterS,

Could you please advise what format the newspaper articles were that you imported into your NVivo projetct, for example PDF, and the total size of the articles imported?

SerraSerra, the issue of not responding for hours is very unusual. Could you please submit a support request form at http://www.qsrinternational.com/customer-support so that I can further follow up with you.

Regards,

Andrew

Hi, thanks for replying!

I captured the articles with NCapture as PDF (NVCX format). Some of them are indeed quite big (I saw one short article that has 38MB, saved as PDF - I think that's far too big for what's in it)

However, what surprises me is that I had such a big file-size explosion from one day to the next - which cannot be explained by the few articles I imported during that time.

I attach a screenshot in which you can see the increase.

Regards

PeterS

post-55484-0-43465600-1467204306_thumb.png

A supplement: I just captured another article in Google Chrome that had 38MB!! For a few paragraphs of plain text..

(the same article captured via the windows explorer had just 5 MB (although this is still far too big)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi PeterS,

The PDF file size would vary depending on the content and amount of pages captured via NCapture.

What was the total file size of the NVCX files and the subsequent PDFs that were imported into NVivo when the file size jumped by around 300,000 KB? In NVivo you can export each PDF (right-click and select export) and view the file size in Explorer. Did you also import datasets? If so, export these too and advise the file sizes?

Regards,

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

I know that the file size varies with the number of pages covered - however, I have 3-page documents that have 16MB file size - that's why I wrote that there must be a serious mistake with the software.

To answer your question: I didn't import data sets. How can I identify the concrete import date of a file?

Thanks for your help

Regards

PeterS

Hi Andrew

Thanks for the advice, here is the info:

The jump in file size happened between the backup created at the end of June 17th and the one made at the end of June 20th (see the screenshot).

I now exported all imported PDF files (a total of 13 documents) which have a total size of 2004 KB (2MB).

I only imported 2 NVCX during that time, which add up to 3482 KB.

That's all I imported during that time. As you see, there is a differenze of about 295 MB that seem to come from nowhere...

Regards,

PeterS

Archived