truncation in framework matrices

Hello, I am analysing 100 interviews and have 356 nodes. I am trying to extract data for my manager who isnt using NVIVO. One way of doing this would be the framework matrices. The problem with the framework matrices is that the text is truncated in some instances. What is the criteria for truncating the text please? Also, do you have any other ideas for presenting text for analysis to my manager other than running queries and copy and pasting the text out into documents?

thanks for any ideas

Jane

Hi Jane,

There is a character limit of 256 when entering data into frame-work matricies. Any text longer than this will be truncated.

However, what you may consider doing is straight exporting the data out of NVivo instead of copying it to the matrix / copying out of NVivo. Most objects in NVivo can be exported by right-clicking the item and selecting Export: http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/export_project_items.htm

As you are looking to export data for your manager you may consider using a pre-defined report, or if that does not cover the data you need you can create your own: http://help-nv10.qsrinternational.com/desktop/concepts/about_reports_and_extracts.htm

Cheers,

Tane

Hi Jane

I would be interested in knowing the nature of the reports that you are trying to put together for your manager. What type of content it is. What is the purpose of the reporting. And how you would ideally like to show or report on the data.

Any information you can share with us would be a great help.

Thanks

Jason

Hi,

1. My manager wants to see the text coded at different nodes by Faculty type (one of my attribute categories) as she wants to do the text analysis herself. The framework matrices work well for nodes where not much text as coded there but fail with the larger amounts of text/references.

2. My other attempt involved running cross tab queries then clicking into each grid and copy and pasting that out to a document. I can export the query framework but it doesnt export the text

3. Is there a way of exporting the text for a cross tab query without copying and pasting from inside the grid box?

4. Would a report work better than copying and pasting?

thanks for any help

Jane

PS I think the export from Node would have worked except that I dont want to view them by source ie individual interview, but by Faculty - one of my node attributes. Is there a way of setting the default for export to categorise by a node attribute?

Also, on a related matter, is there a way of setting the default for View Node please? I wanted to switch off the Coverage and References info for all my views of a node

thank you

Jane

Archived