JulianYates

Limits to annotations (view, cross reference, print)

Hi all,

I still struggle with the limits of annotations in NVivo. I tend to annotate as I code, as I like to note ideas related to specific parts of transcript text.

But I keep finding myself in trouble with this strategy:

1. It is not possible to actually view the annotations, without going to the source or coded node. I can pull up a list of annotations, but when I click one, it takes me to the source. I find this frustrating; I would like to click on an annotation and be able to JUST see the highlighted/referenced text of the source and the full text of the annotation. Of course I do not need to see the entire source, this is why I selected a small part of it in order to annotate.

2. Relatedly, I should be able to do this for multiple annotations - i.e. select some annotations and view the content (again, referenced text in the source and the annotation itself).

3. I would like to be able to cross reference annotations, a bit link the links function used for memos. I.e. I could create a link between memo 3 and memo 5 on my list, as well as between annotation 3 and memo 2 (for example).

4. I can't print JUST the annotation text or JUST the referenced text with the annotation (this seems to be an issue people have struggle with for years, based on forum entries since 2007). The only way to print annotations is to print the source, with the 'include annotations' check box selected; the annotations then appear as footnotes. But I want to see ALL of my annotations on one page. It is content that I have generated through analysis, so I think expectation this is logical. There are ideas in these annotations, but NVivo is making it hard for me to revisit and organize those ideas.

Why are none of these things possible? Am I using annotations incorrectly?

I am reluctant to use memos for a similar purpose, because while the annotations may be related in various ways, they are not necessarily about a single coherent subject or theme (which I document in memos). In fact, ideally I'd like to be able to insert annotations into memos. This also seems logical but not possible in NVivo.

Does anyone have advice on this front?

Many thanks!

---

P.s. I'm using NVivo 11.2.2 for Mac but I've struggled with this in Windows before.

• Like 1

Right. Right to every single point you made. I am about to try some work arounds, and I will get back here to share those outcomes.

Last thought: The move you describe of withholding making the annotation into a memo makes perfect sense to me. That one might review—not necessarily code—independently one's annotations strikes me as altogether obvious and wise before one goes to the memos.

Mike
NVivo 12.1.0 Mac