Fosterius

Autocode Transcript Rows

Fosterius    1

I'm very new to NVivo and have just started trying to get set up. I have time-coded transcripts of recorded interviews that are importing quite nicely and syncing with their corresponding audio files (I'm using the Transcript Rows import tool). The next thing I'd like to do is to be able to auto code the different interviewees' responses into their own nodes but after searching all over I've not been able to figure it out. I keep coming across this video on YouTube but it doesn't work for me in NVivo 10 for Mac. The Auto Code tool is just grayed out on my menu bar.

Sorry if this is really straight forward but I'd massively appreciate any help in getting this to work.

Sorry but my understanding is that Autocode only works on NVivo for Mac with survey data NOT transcript data unlike the Windows version where you can Autodcode using Heading styles with transcripts, it is yet another example of the mismatch between NVivo for Mac vs NVivo for Windows, this is why it is greyed out, when this happens to me I code my questions manually - which is a real pain - depending on your data you could do this or you could just start coding your transcripts and skip the autocoder step :huh:

Fosterius    1

Thanks Jacqui. That is massively frustrating. I spent a few hours on this yesterday thinking I was just too new to the software and that certainly the capability is there. The thought of manually coding something that is already so structured is maddening. I have 40+ hours of transcribed interviews... :angry:

QSRSupport    76

Hi Fosterius,

In this situation Jacqui is correct, and the auto coding feature you are looking for is not available. For a more detailed overview of what is and is not available please see our feature list: http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-product/product-feature-comparison

I will pass this onto our product team as a feature request, so that this feature may be included in a future update of NVivo for Mac. However, at this time I cannot say for sure when that will be.

Cheers, Tane