JHP

How to recover an accidentally deleted project, from a backup file .nvb

Hi guys,

I accidentally deleted my entire project! although I still have a backup file( .nvb) I guess....how can I recover my project from there, does anyone know how ?

PLZ help

Hi,
I have attached a corrupt dummy project with this email to help you recover the project from the nvb file. Download and save this file to your computer and then attempt to open it in NVivo. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file.  Select your nvb file to recover the project.

I also want to make you aware of some of the reasons why project corruption can occur. A project can become corrupted if:
o    If you are storing your NVivo project using a Cloud storage provider like Dropbox, Google Drive or similar, please ensure that file synchronisation is paused or turned OFF while you are working with your project in NVivo. Please refer to the link below for some important information regarding sharing and working with NVivo project files using Dropbox or similar services:http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-support/faqs/what-do-i-need-to-be-aware-of-when-sharing-or-stor
o    The project file is on a network location and the network connection becomes unavailable for some unknown reason.
o    The computer is shutdown abruptly or has gone into power saving (sleep) mode while NVivo is still running.
o    There is spyware or malware on the computer or the external USB drive where the project file is stored.
o    The project is not saved in a Windows folder when working on a Mac.

If you store projects on an external drive like a USB device, memory stick or external hard disk, it is suggested you don't work off these external drives. Instead:
1.    Copy the project file to your local computer.
2.    Work on the project from a local drive on the computer.
3.    Save the updated project back to the external drive when done.

Please refer to the following FAQ for more information about working from a USB device or memory stick: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_faqs_detail.aspx?view=311
It is highly recommended to perform regular backup of any project files that you have created. This will be invaluable if your data becomes corrupt, you suffer a hard drive failure or you experience a different critical issue. Please refer to the following FAQ link for more information: http://www.qsrinternational.com/Support/FAQs/How-do-I-move-or-back-up-a-project-in-NVivo

Cheers,
Tane

NV11CorruptProject(for restoring project backups).nvp

On 8/23/2017 at 7:41 AM, QSRSupport said:

Hi,
I have attached a corrupt dummy project with this email to help you recover the project from the nvb file. Download and save this file to your computer and then attempt to open it in NVivo. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file.  Select your nvb file to recover the project.

I also want to make you aware of some of the reasons why project corruption can occur. A project can become corrupted if:
o    If you are storing your NVivo project using a Cloud storage provider like Dropbox, Google Drive or similar, please ensure that file synchronisation is paused or turned OFF while you are working with your project in NVivo. Please refer to the link below for some important information regarding sharing and working with NVivo project files using Dropbox or similar services:http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo-support/faqs/what-do-i-need-to-be-aware-of-when-sharing-or-stor
o    The project file is on a network location and the network connection becomes unavailable for some unknown reason.
o    The computer is shutdown abruptly or has gone into power saving (sleep) mode while NVivo is still running.
o    There is spyware or malware on the computer or the external USB drive where the project file is stored.
o    The project is not saved in a Windows folder when working on a Mac.

If you store projects on an external drive like a USB device, memory stick or external hard disk, it is suggested you don't work off these external drives. Instead:
1.    Copy the project file to your local computer.
2.    Work on the project from a local drive on the computer.
3.    Save the updated project back to the external drive when done.

Please refer to the following FAQ for more information about working from a USB device or memory stick: http://www.qsrinternational.com/support_faqs_detail.aspx?view=311
It is highly recommended to perform regular backup of any project files that you have created. This will be invaluable if your data becomes corrupt, you suffer a hard drive failure or you experience a different critical issue. Please refer to the following FAQ link for more information: http://www.qsrinternational.com/Support/FAQs/How-do-I-move-or-back-up-a-project-in-NVivo

Cheers,
Tane

NV11CorruptProject(for restoring project backups).nvp

Hello,

can please attach again the Nv11 corrupt for restoring project backup. I have again the same issue. PLZ

Hi,

I have done the same thing! I have lost the original project but I still have the .nvb backup file- can I salvage my project?

Hi,

I've experienced the same issue that the file I was working on says it's corrupt - I was working on it via a network drive so I wonder if it lost connection at some point.

Unfortunately, the link for the dummy file posted above (NV11CorruptProject(for restoring project backups).nvp) doesn't work for me. Is it possible for you to post it again or provide an alternative solution? I'm working in NVIVO 12.

Many thanks

This has happened to me several times in NVivo 12 over the past few months (I work on my local desktop and regularly save my file, but it fails to save - I can see the recovery nvb file, but when I try to open it I get a message that the file format is invalid) and the QSR support has never successfully helped me. The last time this happened, they sent me the attached file. I was not able to open this file in NVivo as it's an html, and NVivo won't allow me to select an html file to open. However, I'm attaching it here in case anyone else finds it useful. The steps they instructed me to take are:

1. Download and save this file on your computer

2. Open NVivo, click on "open other project" then browse and select the dummy file saved in step 1

3. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file. Select your .nvb file from the list to recover the project. If your project does not appear in the list, you can try searching your computer for any .nvb files, these are project recovery files.

4. The project will open once recovery is complete. 

If anyone finds this to be actually useful can you please reply with the steps you used? I'm at a loss and incredibly frustrated with the NVivo bugs and lack of QSR support. 

Thanks!

NV12CorruptProject (for restoring project backups)_nvp.html

Hi-

Moving file from one PC to another (each with a valid NVivo 12 Plus license) via Google Drive (not opened there, of course), was prompted to convert file to NVivo 12 file, which I did. Was prompted going the other way as well. In both cases, coding for 8 out of 10 coded interview transcripts has disappeared. No clear guidance on how to restore a NVB file, which I hope holds previously coded interview files. Please help? Also, I'm unable to find online straightforward guidance on how to restore a file like this - perhaps I've missed it? -  seems that would be especially helpful and smart. Please advise. Thanks!

~Carrie

Hello:

I have a licensed NVivo project that will not open. Please advise my project is corrup and I would like to restore. NVivo messages that restoration is not possible.