While waiting for a response to other question NVivo has crashed and I've lost all my data from the last 5 days. I was prompted to make a copy of my project which hasn't saved anything from the last 5 days. Temporary files (despite saving when prompted) also do not contain any of the changes made to the project in the last 5 days. The temporary file from today only appears when I open the copy I was prompted to make before the error, the time on the file is the time of the crash but again it contains no new data saved to the project.

There is an .ldf file which is in the Temporary Files when the Project is opened. The .ldf file updates with the current time when I open the project (the project remains with the crash time as stated above - not sure that makes any difference)

There is a .nvb file in the recovery folder from the 8th. Nothing from today.

There is also a crash log:

{"contact":"","description":null,"log":"Offline: False\u000d\u000aIsTrial: False\u000d\u000aApplicationShutdown: True\u000d\u000aUserInterfaceEdition: Pro\u000d\u000aUserInterfaceLanguage: en-US\u000d\u000aReleaseType: Production\u000d\u000aPackage: NVivo\u000aVersion: 11.4.1.1064\u000aOS: 6.1.7601.0\u000aWindows: Windows 7 Enterprise\u000aManufacturer: QSR International\u000aModel: x86 on 64bit Windows\u000aDate: 2017-11-10T01:47:09.7215345Z\u000a\u000d\u000aSystem.Exception: The operation could not be performed. An unexpected error has occurred.\u000a(01-2701)\u000d\u000a   at ᜝.ᜀ()\u000d\u000a   at ᜝.ᜀ(ᜒ A_0, Int32 A_1, Int32 A_2, Int32[] A_3)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.Selection.ᜀ(Attribute A_0)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.Selection..ctor(᜝ A_0, ᜒ A_1)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.TextControlBase.get_Selection()\u000d\u000a   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.BaseTextControl.a(EventArgs A_0)\u000d\u000a   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.TextContentControl.a(EventArgs A_0)\u000d\u000a   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.BaseTextControl.g(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.TextControlBase.OnInputPositionChanged(EventArgs e)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.TextControlBase.ᜂ(Message& A_0)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.TextControlBase.WndProc(Message& message)\u000d\u000a   at TXTextControl.TextControl.WndProc(Message& message)\u000d\u000a   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Controls.ImeTextControl.a(Message& A_0)\u000d\u000a   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)\u000d\u000a   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)\u000d\u000a   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)","sdk":"QSRHockeyAppSDK","sdk_version":"2.2.3.1","userID":""}

Can anyone please help. This isn't the first time this has happened but I was fortunate enough to be able to recover the data. I don't know why it's different this time round. I've lost 30+ hours of work. There must be a more secure way to save data, especially if being prompted every 15 minutes to save and it's not saving and I am also intermittently saving data throughout the project. Why is this not saving to the file in My Documents?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

This data loss issue can occur with projects located on a Network location. By default, if the project is stored on a network drive, when you save, your changes are saved locally and the .nvp project file on the network is not updated until you close the project.

If you haven't already tried the steps below, please ensure NVivo is closed then follow the steps below to try to recover lost data:

Windows 8

1. From the Start screen, start typing Explorer and click on File Explorer in the search results displayed
  2. A new File Explorer window opens up. Click on the View tab and check the Hidden Items option.
  3. Navigate to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp
  4. Look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a _log at the end, so it would be '<project name>_log'.
  5. Rename this file to ‘OLD<project name>_log'. If there are any other files that have ‘_log’ at the end, rename those as well by adding the word old at the start of the filename

In this Temp folder, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be '<project name>.tmp.nvp'. This project file will most likely contain your most recent changes to your project.

To ensure you still have a backup of this version, make a copy of it first. You should rename this project file to '<project name>.nvp'. You can do this by right clicking on your mouse and selecting the Rename option.

Try opening this project file. 

Windows 7/VISTA

1. Right-click on the Start circle -> Open Windows Explorer
  2. Click on Organize -> Folder and Search Options. In the Folder Options dialog, click on the View tab and check the Show hidden files and folders option.
  3. Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  4. Click on Apply -> OK.
  5. Click on the Start circle -> Computer.
  6. Go to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp
  7. Look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a _log at the end, so it would be '<project name>_log'.
  8. Rename this file to ‘OLD<project name>_log'. If there are any other files that have ‘_log’ at the end, rename those by adding the word old at the start of the filename as well

In this Temp folder, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be '<project name>.tmp.nvp'. This project file will most likely contain your most recent changes to your project.

To ensure you still have a backup of this version, make a copy of it first. You should rename this project file to '<project name>.nvp'. You can do this by right clicking on your mouse and selecting the Rename option.

Try opening this project file. 

In regards to NVivo crash, we will need more information besides the crash log to investigate the cause. Could you submit a support request via http://www.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support & we'll investigate further?

Let us know how you go.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

Hi, thank you for your reply.

I am unamble to rename  or make copies of the _log file or the .tmp.nvp file. I get the message: 'The action can't be completed because the file is open in the SQL Server Window. Close the file and try again'. When I close the project in NVivo the Temporary Files disappear. When the project is open .tmp.nvp file appears in the temporary folder with the time/date of the crash.

Thanks,

• 3 years later...