Error Message: An item with the same key has already been added.

Was working in Nvivo 11 Plus on a project. Saved and closed project.  Underneath was a frozen intro screen (the one where you can then open a recent projects or browse to one.)  Couldn't exit from it, so I went into Task Manager and stopped it there.  Rebooted machine. 

Now I cannot open my project (but other projects open just fine.) The full error message I get is below. Any ideas on what I can do to get back into my project?

Error Message: An item with the same key has already been added.

Stack Trace:    at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
   at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Insert(TKey key, TValue value, Boolean add)
   at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.Domain.HierarchicalNode.j()
   at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.Services.ProjectConnection.a(Folder A_0)
   at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.Services.ProjectConnection.j()
   at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.Services.ProjectConnection.a(Boolean A_0, String A_1, String A_2, Boolean A_3)
   at QSR.NVivo.Common.Business.Services.ProjectConnection.a(String A_0, Boolean A_1, String A_2, String A_3, ApplicationConnection A_4, String A_5, Boolean A_6, Boolean A_7)
   at qj.a(ProjectConnection A_0, String A_1, Boolean A_2, String A_3, String A_4, Boolean A_5, Boolean A_6)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at gg.a(Exception A_0)
   at qj.a(String A_0, String A_1, Exception A_2)
   at qj.a(ProjectConnection A_0, String A_1, Boolean A_2, String A_3, String A_4, Boolean A_5, Boolean A_6)
   at qj.a(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, ApplicationConnection A_4, String A_5, SimulateServerProjectParams A_6, Boolean A_7, ISummaryContentLengthFinder A_8, Boolean A_9)
   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.a(CreateOpenProjectParameters A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, ApplicationConnection A_3)
   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.a(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, Boolean A_3, Boolean A_4, ApplicationConnection A_5)
   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OpenProject(String A_0, Boolean A_1, Boolean A_2, ApplicationConnection A_3)
   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OnFileOpen()
   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.OnToolClick(Control A_0, ToolClickEventArgs A_1)
   at QSR.NVivo.Client.Presentation.Forms.NVivoApplication.a(Object A_0, ToolClickEventArgs A_1)
   at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.OnToolClick(ToolClickEventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsManager.FireEvent(ToolbarEventIds id, EventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.DoClickProcessing(MouseEventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.PopupMenuItemUIElement.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.TextUIElementBase.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUpHelper(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.ControlUIElementBase.ProcessMouseUp(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.Utilities.ProcessEvent(Control control, ProcessEvent eventToProcess, EventArgs e)
   at Infragistics.Win.UltraWinToolbars.UltraToolbarsDockArea.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Hi Tracy,

To try and resolve your issue, could you please copy your project to your Desktop and then follow the instructions below using your Desktop copy of your project:

1.    Start NVivo with the program icon (not project file).

2.    Click the File tab, click Help, and then click Compact and Repair Project.

The Select Project dialog box opens.

3.    Locate and select your project.

4.    Click Open.

Once the compact and repair completes, open your project and see if the issue is resolved.

If the issue is not resolved, try merging your project into a blank new project. To do this:

1. In NVivo, create a blank new project. 

2. Click the Data tab and the click the Project icon.

The 'Import Project' dialog box appears.

3. Click Browse and navigate to and select your project file.

4. Click Import.

Once the import finishes, see if this issue is resolved in this new project file, which contains your entire project data.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

• 3 years later...

Hello @Becca123,

It depends on your project size and structure. However, if the process stuck or your issue persists, please submit a support request form following: https://support.qsrinternational.com/nvivo/s/contactsupport/contact-support-form

Regards,