cgev

How to export a spreadsheet with nodes organized in binary variables

I am working on an extensive content analysis project. We collected short-typed answers from thousands of survey participants. 

Data is being coded right now and we want to be conduct some advanced statistical analysis afterwards. We have a total of 36 nodes. 

To do so, I would like to create and export a report in Excel format. 

I want the report to have all the observations (participants' answers) organized in rows and the each of the 36 nodes as separate columns. Each cell of the grid would have a NO/YES, or a 0/1, or some other simple way to show whether a particular node was identified in a particular answer. I am attaching a simple example of what I need in the report. 

What is the right kind of report to do this? I have tried several, but I cannot get to what I want. I am sure it must be easy, but I cannot seem to get this done. 

I will appreciate some suggestions, 

CGEV 

Example for NVivo Forum.xlsx

Hi cgev,

Currently there is no direct way to do this in NVivo, however it may be possible with a Matrix Coding query. The query can be set with columns being your 36 nodes and rows as your responses. As the responses are just text at the moment, you will need to make them somehow a project item, such as a node.

Once the query is run, you can display if the item in a row is coded to a particular node (column) by right clicking on the matrix and from the menu selecting Cell Content > Coding Presence. These query results can also be exported to an Excel file. For more information on matrix coding queries, see the following help link:

http://help-nv11.qsrinternational.com/desktop/procedures/run_a_matrix_coding_query.htm

Hope this helps.