sarchie

Finding overlapping codes or codes associated with one particular code

Hello,

I am relatively new to NVivo. I've used a different mixed methods software (MAXQDA) that allowed me to see a list of nodes are associated with a particular node. I am trying to figure out if I can do a similar thing with NVivo.

Here is an example of what I am trying to do. I asked the same questions to focus group and individual interview participants. In my first coding pass, I coded each response to a question as Q1, Q2, etc. Additionally, I also coded those responses according to content (i.e. physical violence, emotional violence, etc.). I now want to see a list of the nodes (i.e. nodes like physical violence, emotional violence, etc.) associated with a particular question (i.e. nodes like Q1, Q2, etc.) for analysis purposes and to merge similar nodes.

I've checked message boards for instructions on how to do this and similar questions have suggested using coding stripes. This suggestion doesn't work well for me because I have multiple codes and it can be difficult to see them on one screen. Additionally, it appears I can only see them on each individual document and as I have over 20 documents, it is inconvenient to go back and forth between documents. Furthermore, I really would like a list of nodes not the content associated with those nodes.

I'm happy to provide more information if necessary.

Thanks!

Samantha

Hello Sarchie,

The easiest way of getting the results you want is to run a matrix coding query.

You may put all your response codes (Q1,Q2, etc.) on rows, and then add contextual codes ( physical violence, emotional violence, etc.) on columns.

On your results, each cell represents the overlapping of response and contextual codings as frequencies. Although it is not a list, it will let you do what you described.

You can also limit this query down to the desired group of items; for example only look for overlapping of codings in interviews that held in a certain city.

Hope this helps.