IOFarmer

How to remove duplicate References from a Node

While working with a large dataset of survey comments I have been using the "Copy" and "Merge into selected Node" functions to shrink the number of nodes after auto-coding the comment data. I thought that merging in the references would bring in all unique references, but I see now that I was also duplicating references already in the node (e.g., I had a node with A, B, and C, and a node with B, C, and D. I thought after merging I would have A, B, C, and, D but I actually have A, B, B, C C, and D). Because I have thousands of comments manually uncoding is a problem. I am looking for an efficient way to remove duplicate references within each node so that I can see what my count of unique references is. Thank you for any input you have! 

Hi,

When merging nodes and references, provided that the references in both nodes are exactly the same then they should merge. However if a reference is slightly different, such as an extra space or from a different source with the same text then these duplicates may appear. This can be confirmed by viewing the source and coding stripes and highlight, to show which content is coded to a particular node.

Another cause is if there are multiple users coding the same project, the you will also see a duplicate reference from the other user.

If neither of these are the case, can you please submit a support request via the below link so that we can investigate further.

https://qsrinternational.com/nvivo/contact-us/customer-support

Regards,

NVivoSup