charlotten22

Help! Recovering a corrupted file

Hi all,

As seems to be a very common issue with NVivo, my NVivo 12 crashed while I was working on it (I was working on my local desktop, not a network; saving regularly; my computer did not lose internet connection - so I was following all the "rules of safe NVivo engagement"). I've tried to reopen my file, but get an error message; on my third try opening the file it successfully opened, but wouldn't load any of my files. 

I can see that the nvb backup file is in my documents folder, with a timestamp of a couple hours ago - but I can't figure out how to use it to recover my actual NVivo file and I can't find any guidance on the QSR website. I'm hopeful that it's still possible to recover my work. Any tips that you all have found to successfully recover would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charlotte

Hi Charlotte, 

I can see that you have also been in contact via the support request form on our website. We have just sent you an email with some resolution steps. Can you please check your emails. 

Regards, 
Heather

For anyone who is browsing the forums, this is the information that QSR support gave me. Please note that it did NOT work for me. I was not able to open the html file with NVivo. However, posting here in the event that it works for you.

1. Download and save the attached file to your computer

2. Open NVivo, click on Open Other Project, then browse and select the dummy file saved in step 1.

3. You will be presented with an option to recover from a project recovery file.  Select your .nvb file from the list to recover the project. If your project does not appear in the list, you can try searching your computer for any .nvb files, these are project recovery files.
4. The project will open once recovery is complete.

NV12CorruptProject (for restoring project backups)_nvp.html