Austen Hentschel

Recovering Recent Projects

Hi,

when clicking on a recent project that I had continuously saved while working on it the last time I was in NVIVO continues to have a pop-up that says that the project is no longer available. I went into my NVIVO Project Recovery file and also could not find it. Is there anyway to recover this? Does this mean all of the work is lost? 

Thanks.

Hi Austen,

It looks like you may have moved the file to a different location and when you try to open your project from the ‘Recent Project list’ in NVivo, NVivo is unable to find the project. To search your project, please try searching .nvp extension for Windows project in your computer and see if you can locate your project. If you are unable to find your project, please follow the steps below and see if your project is located at the following location:

1. From the Start screen, start typing Explorer and click on File Explorer in the search results displayed
  2. A new File Explorer window opens up. Click on the View tab and check the Hidden Items option.
  3. Navigate to C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Local\Temp
  4. Look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a _log at the end, so it would be '<project name>_log'.
  5. Rename this file to ‘OLD<project name>_log'. If there are any other files that have ‘_log’ at the end, rename those as well by adding the word old at the start of the filename

In this Temp folder, look for a file that has the same name as your NVivo project but with a .tmp file extension, so it would be '<project name>.tmp.nvp'. This project file will most likely contain your most recent changes to your project.

To ensure you still have a backup of this version, make a copy of it first. You should rename this project file to '<project name>.nvp'. You can do this by right clicking on your mouse and selecting the Rename option.

Try opening this project file. 

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Akshay