I have imported a data file into NVivo 12 Plus from SPSS.  The data file contains both demographic info and qualitative responses to questions for respondents organised by id number.  I have two problems:

1. I have specified it as a case classification, but it doesn't ask me which questions are open-ended and which are closed-ended as per all the guidance I can find, and I'm not convinced it has formatted it correctly

2. I am unable to do any coding (a coding query is returning no results) because it doesn't seem to be recognising the qualitative data as text

I'm only a novice at NVivo so I have no doubt I'm probably doing a number of things 'wrong' but I'd be grateful for some help.  Here is a snip of my NVivo screen:

Capture.thumb.PNG.7a083d33a5d331dbdf5a1fe0d316531b.PNG

Hi Mel,

Currently, NVivo supports importing data directly from SPSS as a classification sheet only. This is the reason you are not prompted to choose open ended questions and you are also not able to perform any coding.

To be able to choose and code open ended question, you'll need to export data from SPSS as an Excel file and import that excel file into NVivo. Refer to the link below for information on importing datasets in NVivo:

https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/12/win/v12.1.82-d3ea61/Content/files/datasets.htm

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Bhupesh

Bhupesh,

That helps enormously, thank you so much.  I was beginning to wonder if it was something like that but given my inexperience couldn't be sure.  I'm very grateful for your response as I can stop spending time going around in circles!!!

Best regards,

Melanie