bjohn

Incrementally add to a transcript after partial coding?

Hello,
I have the problem that I get different pieces of data for the same session at different times and I am under pressure to start coding ASAP.

For example, I run a session and have the video immediately, which I'd like to start coding with a set of rough codes. Then a week later I get a transcript that I want to synch with the  video and code at a much more detailed level, without losing the rough codes I have already done. Then a week later, I get a log file of what the system was doing (e.g., error messages) that I want to automatically interleave into the transcript (not edit in NVivo) without losing the codes I have already done.

I need to be able to tell integrated stories about what happened -- where the words the person said is in context with the system logs, e.g., what they were trying to do before they got the error message and as they are puzzling about what this error message means. It all has to read from the same document, not switch back and forth between documents. (Hence my thought that I could just add to the transcript somehow)

Any thoughts as to how I can get what I need with the current capabilities of NVivo?
Thanks, Bonnie

Hi Bonnie, 

If you want to start coding on the video timeline and then import a transcript later on you will be able to do this. NVivo treats coding to the video timeline and coding to the transcript as separate references. Importing your log files later will be more difficult. You will not be able to import these as transcript rows if you already have a transcript, so you would need to manually edit your transcript in NVivo to add these. 

Regards, 
Heather

I don't quite understand "NVivo treats coding to the video timeline and coding to the transcript as separate references." Let me see if I can explain.

To me, once the transcript is imported into the video, then it is the same reference. I would expect that all the coding I did in the video initially would now appear coded, highlighted and code-striped in the video+transcript.

Is that what happens, or do I have to all the initial video-only encodings over again in the video+transcript reference so I can get the video-only codes to be attached to the words at that time in the transcripts?

Thanks for clarifying.