cara

Literature review - messed up file & case classifications

Hello,

Help please! I started my literature review by importing all my PDFs into Nvivo then creating file classifications (journal type, year published, author, study country etc). Then an advisor from NVIVO said it would be better to make them case classifications - they said I wouldn't be able to run complex queries unless I made them case classifications. So then I exported the file classification data (into Excel) and re-imported it as case classification. Now I think I have both and I am very confused. For some reason, NVIVO has decided to automatically create references for my cases (the articles). It also looks as though everything has duplicated now. It also looks as though I have to recreate and reassign all my attributes... tempted to start all over again from scratch! See the screenshots attached. What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks,

Cara

Nvivo issues - Cara.docx

Hi Cara,

You can try making a copy of your project then deleting the case classifications in the copy of the project and see if that helps. You may also like to look at the literature review workflow outline on the following link, this is an example of how such a project may be set up:

https://help-nv.qsrinternational.com/12/win/v12.1.86-d3ea61/Content/concepts-strategies/using-nvivo-for-qualitative-research.htm

If this does not resolve the problem, we would suggest someone take a look at the project to understand what is required and suggest a solution. QSR Support are not trained to provide guidance in situations like these however we can provide the contact details of nearby NVivo trainers and consultants who can who can provide this service at a cost. If you would like us to arrange this please send your details to our team via info@qsrinternational.com.

Regards,

^NVivoSup

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 5:33 AM, cara said:

Hello,

Help please! I started my literature review by importing all my PDFs into Nvivo then creating file classifications (journal type, year published, author, study country etc). Then an advisor from NVIVO said it would be better to make them case classifications - they said I wouldn't be able to run complex queries unless I made them case classifications. So then I exported the file classification data (into Excel) and re-imported it as case classification. Now I think I have both and I am very confused. For some reason, NVIVO has decided to automatically create references for my cases (the articles). It also looks as though everything has duplicated now. It also looks as though I have to recreate and reassign all my attributes... tempted to start all over again from scratch! See the screenshots attached. What am I doing wrong? 

Thanks,

Cara

Nvivo issues - Cara.docx

Hi Cara:

Although the advice created a problem, it was accurate. File classifications  for each of the variables is awkward for a lot of complicated reasons and attributes works a lot better. I would copy the project and then re-import the excel as case classifications associated with each file. This will help you identify multiple cases with a single attribute, etc.

Hope this helps.

Audrey